Skoda Yeti - and now Tiguan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Now we’re living in the sticks, we need a small 4x4. I’ve looked at VW Tiguan and Skoda Karoq but they are a bit pricey. The Yeti ticks all the boxes, more reasonably priced and I’m a fan of the boxy styling. We want a manual gearbox.

Limited engine choice on the 4x4 - 2.0l diesel or 1.4l petrol. Both available in 140 or 170bhp (ish) versions. Diesels are ULEZ and Euro 6 compliant. The diesel Is more frugal, but I’m guessing we’ll only ever do 5000 miles a year in it. Petrol about £300 pa road tax, diesel £205. Petrol arguably cheaper maintenance.

So, what to buy? Is legislation going to make diesel a no-go area in years to come, or will they be around for a while? Anything else to consider?

Thoughts please.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mileage would say petrol, especially if not doing long runs. My son has a 1.2 TSI 109bhp Fabia, which is only £30 a year road tax.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As above - 5,000 miles a year is a no-brainer; petrol. That said, a petrol 4x4 is a rare beast so good luck finding one!

I had a 2012 140 TDi 4x4 for 5 years - it was a fantastic car. It fell within the VW cheaty-diesel situation though but I refused to allow it to be updated.

OldShep

Über Member
yes petrol for those miles I’ve recently gone to petrol after 30 yrs of diesel. Modern petrol engines are a world of difference to old ones.
ive an Octavia now with 1.4 tsi £30 yr tax and avg mpg around 7 less than my last diesel.

D

Deleted member 26715

Or am I being paranoid?
No idea, I've never had an issue with any diesel & always found them cheaper to maintain, but agree with all the others for 5K a year it's not going to be worth paying the extra for a diesel assuming a Yeti is the same as all other cars & diesel are more expensive.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rue&dpp=10023455&advertising-location=at_cars

We’d keep our 2008 Saab 9-5 SportWagon, 1.9l diesel, 133000 miles. It‘s been a fab car, Served us well, but It’s worth about £500, so I’ll just keep it, use as hack and run it into the ground.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I read that the government might give an incentive of up to £6k on new electric cars dependant on scrap age of your old fossil fuel mobile.

Moodyman

Legendary Member

Whilst diesel engines are quite hardy, there are lots of add-ons to make the emissions meets the regulations. So, DPFs, EGR valves, turbos and MAF sensors. There is more to go wrong, and they're less forgiving of poor servicing.

Due to the agricultural nature of diesels, they are fitted with DMF (dual mass flywheels) these are expensive jobs to complete when they go wrong.

Also, diesels need bigger, more expensive batteries.

Only worth getting for higher mileage motorway / A road driving.

gbb

Legendary Member
DMF* and particulate filters? Or am I being paranoid?

*its possible petrol engines use DMF these days. Dunno, tbh.
My son likes diesels and while i think many cars have DMFs now, diesels seem to knock them out faster, he's done both of his last cars flywheels, it gets expensive.
DPFs, my SIL is a garage mechanic and he reckons unless youre doing decent mileages, at least occasionally, the DPFs will give you problems.
He never understands why so many people buy them and use them only in a city or urban environment, its terrible for DPFs.

vickster

Legendary Member
Petrol, diesel vehicles stink (especially for the poor cyclist stuck behind in traffic xx()

I've had a petrol Fabia estate (DSG VRS) for 8 years, granted I don't even do 5k miles a year, biut it's never given me grief

My parents had a non 4x4 petrol Yeti for a bit, 1.2 DSG I think, was a nice vehicle

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Thoughts please.

As the Yeti is no longer made, I presume you're buying used. In which case here are my thoughts.

I'd get a small engined petrol with front wheel drive.

Unless you're doing many off-road miles, a 4x4 just increases complexity and doesn't offer much in return. Bigger & more expensive tyres, taller & more complicated suspension reduces handling and is more expensive to fix when things go wrong. And on our potholed roads, they will. Example, tracking on a 4x4 usually costs more as they have to align all four wheels, rather than two.

If winter driving is a concern stick winter tyres on for 6 months. They're recommended for temperatures below 7/8 Celsius.

If you must have a Yeti, the petrol will be easier to live with for your mileage.

PS - VW DSG gearboxes are notoriously weak and have been known to fail. These are expensive to fix to the point where often they exceed the car's value. Might be better to consider manual if available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom