Skoda Yeti - and now Tiguan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not within a reasonable distance, sooner or later one of my customers will take one in part exchange. Plenty of VRS about but they just do not suit our rural tracks that they call roads up here.
Ah I thought you wanted a VRS estate

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, I believe it to be a genuine error. They hadn’t seen the car, It is coming in either as a PX from a different dealership in the group, or from auction somewhere. I’ve seen an internal document and it does state 16000 miles. I liked the sales fellow, thought him to be straightforward and honest.

27000 miles @ £18k makes it slightly expensive, but not outrageous from a main dealer, so I doubt they’ll budge. More likely to embellish with extra warranty/service period.

So, do I discuss it with them tomorrow and give them time to prepare, or wait until we meet on Wednesday when we test drive the car?
Don't waste your time or theirs. Get on the blower as soon as they are open, and tell them to deal or you'll walk. Don't let them fob you off with embellishments, servicing or a bit more warranty won't come close to the difference in value - filthy lucre is the name of the game, anything else a diversion.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Your plan to have them effectively reduce the cost to you by adding to the deal is a good one - something that's easy for them to arrange so a win-win. Perhaps consider asking for a cambelt/water pump change in the deal too, iirc they're normally every 4yrs (or mileage which it's not near yet) so stands to cost you ~£1k in April 2021... unless they include it in the deal.

Pretty sure it's 5 years and 60k miles, whichever soonest. I'd prefer to take it to my local independent, who, I think would charge about £400/£450 for cam belt/ water pump change.

There's only seven months VW warranty left on the car, and if I take it elsewhere for servicing then they may not be prepared to extend the warranty period. Having checked online prices it's still well priced, but I'll see if I can get it reduced. If they'd go to £17500 I'd buy, £17750, then maybe.

I understand that used cars have been achieving very good prices after the lockdown period ended - shortage of stock, pent uo demand, being factors quoted - and I'm wondering the bubble has finally burst. The sales fellow admitted on Saturday that he had been very quiet all day.

screenman

Legendary Member
Pretty sure it's 5 years and 60k miles, whichever soonest. I'd prefer to take it to my local independent, who, I think would charge about £400/£450 for cam belt/ water pump change.

There's only seven months VW warranty left on the car, and if I take it elsewhere for servicing then they may not be prepared to extend the warranty period. Having checked online prices it's still well priced, but I'll see if I can get it reduced. If they'd go to £17500 I'd buy, £17750, then maybe.

I understand that used cars have been achieving very good prices after the lockdown period ended - shortage of stock, pent uo demand, being factors quoted - and I'm wondering the bubble has finally burst. The sales fellow admitted on Saturday that he had been very quiet all day.

As you may know most of my customers are dealers, some are very busy, some a tad quiet, used cars are making a lot of money and all my dealers are complaining about lack of stock.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
To be fair, I believe it to be a genuine error. They hadn’t seen the car, It is coming in either as a PX from a different dealership in the group, or from auction somewhere. I’ve seen an internal document and it does state 16000 miles. I liked the sales fellow, thought him to be straightforward and honest.

27000 miles @ £18k makes it slightly expensive, but not outrageous from a main dealer, so I doubt they’ll budge. More likely to embellish with extra warranty/service period.

So, do I discuss it with them tomorrow and give them time to prepare, or wait until we meet on Wednesday when we test drive the car?
... within their own group though.

"So Mr Salesman, it hasn't got a few extra miles, it's got nearly 70 clucking percent more miles. Talk to me about the car I've put a holding deposit on"

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Well, I've bought a Tiguan!

Phoned the sales fellow about the mileage discrepancy and agreed we'd sort it out when I visited. Check online prices and even at hight miles it was still well priced for a main dealer car.

So, yesterday my wife and I took it for a test drive. Car is one previous owner, taken as part-ex at another VW dealer in the group. As you'd expect, all fine. Still not convinced about DSG but I'll go with it. Car itself had a small dent on door, chipped/scratched plastic on wing mirror casing, small scuff on bumper. They said at the price quoted they'd fix the paint but not the mirror casing. Wheels immaculate, new tyres on front, back ones a bit thin but okay.

Prepared to argue about price/miles but made aware that car had some extras over and above standard SE NAV spec - winter pack (heated seats & washer jets), sports seats (with massage!!), rear facing camera, retractable tow bar (£1000+ option!) - which the dealer assured me they hadn't known about when they priced the car, and I believe him.

So, I came to a conclusion that it was a good buy at the asking price, and I was fairly certain they weren't going to budge, so told them if they would fix the paint/damage, including wing mirror, I'd take it at price asked, and the deal was done. Pick it up end of next week, maybe sooner.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom