Skoda Yeti - and now Tiguan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’d be buying 2014 or newer, but won’t be buying a DSG.

I always think that auto gearboxes are for people who don’t like driving, and I quite like driving.
I am a petrolhead. Always have been. I initially dismissed DCT when I first tried it, many years ago. However with time I have revisited this prejudice and am now on my 2nd DCT car - the first a SEAT Leon and the current a MINI Cooper S. There is a different driving skill needed to get the most out of them and they offer the option to just switch off and let the car sort it out should this be appropriate. There’s little driving pleasure in stop-start queuing traffic.

Drago

Legendary Member
In your position (20%, ice etc) I'd likely be looking at 4x4, not AWD (which is what the Yeti is, never mind its badge :okay:) at previous-gen Suzuki Vitaras, Subaru Foresters et al.
That said, if slippery mud or ice is the problem rather than a need to go rock crawling, the Haldex system is very, very good. A variant of the system Volvo used in the original XC90, and on proper rubber or just bats snow contemptupusly aside.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That said, if slippery mud or ice is the problem rather than a need to go rock crawling, the Haldex system is very, very good. A variant of the system Volvo used in the original XC90, and on proper rubber or just bats snow contemptupusly aside.
That's the most important element right there. I look back with huge amusement at our running an mX5 Mk2.5 during the winter of 2010. Shod with winters it ran rings around awd/4x4s on summer boots.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, my Dad lives on the North Downs and though it doesn't snow often when it does it can get quickly quite dicey so he ran the XC on Pirelli Scorpion AT+ boots, which I can confirm are rather pleasant in the snow. 160 sheets a corner though, so I'm glad they're fairly new new...

figbat

Slippery scientist
I put Goodyear Vector 4Season tyres on my Yeti and loved them. They did 40,000 miles and were noticeably better in cold, wet weather than ‘summer’ tyres. They also worked very well in snow meaning I was cheerfully ascending roads that were beating normal cars on normal tyres. There have been some Haldex failures reported on Yetis which don’t give any warnings, so some people only find out it isn’t working when they get stuck and realise the rear wheels aren’t joining in. There are various filters and fluid that gets overlooked/ignored by official servicing requirements. That said, mine was working fine when it left us with 80-odd thousand miles on it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I always think that auto gearboxes are for people who don’t like driving, and I quite like driving.
I've never understood that way of thinking. I like driving, but stirring a stick around has nothing to do with that enjoyment. I say that even having had a lifetime mileage of less than ten in automatics, but should a suitable auto come up I'd be quite happy to buy it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Given the choice I'd never own a manual again. I don't especially enjoy driving and never have, and the few interesting cars I've ever owned (P6 V8, 7 series, 928 SII) were all auto anyway and none the worse for it.

screenman

Legendary Member
As the Yeti is no longer made, I presume you're buying used. In which case here are my thoughts.

I'd get a small engined petrol with front wheel drive.

Unless you're doing many off-road miles, a 4x4 just increases complexity and doesn't offer much in return. Bigger & more expensive tyres, taller & more complicated suspension reduces handling and is more expensive to fix when things go wrong. And on our potholed roads, they will. Example, tracking on a 4x4 usually costs more as they have to align all four wheels, rather than two.

If winter driving is a concern stick winter tyres on for 6 months. They're recommended for temperatures below 7/8 Celsius.

If you must have a Yeti, the petrol will be easier to live with for your mileage.

PS - VW DSG gearboxes are notoriously weak and have been known to fail. These are expensive to fix to the point where often they exceed the car's value. Might be better to consider manual if available.

I work at least twice a week in an Audi garage, I am yet to see a DSG box on the floor, also they are not that expensive to get repaired around a £1,000 in most cases. I know plenty that are getting up to 200,000 miles without much help. I run a DSG myself and am looking for a Fabia DSG for my far better half. I am a motor trade proffesional and have been for 49 years so my message is not second hand.

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks all, very interesting comments and much in alignment with my own thinking.

Our location dictates a 4x4 is required (long (400m) , very steep (20%+), very bumpy, prone to frost/ice). My immediate neighbour, with whom I share the drive, has an ancient ratted Defender and a 4x4 Tiguan. He says he needs 4x4 and I believe him.

Deffo don’t want a DSG gearbox, I’ve never liked auto, or semi-auto. Noisier, clunkier, thirstier, less reliable. I’ve never understood the appeal. I much prefer manual. My wife is off the same opinion.

All season tyres will be fitted as sensible opportunity arises.

And, yep, I think I’ll go for petrol. Autotrader here I come!

You have never driven a DSG box is all I can say, everything you say about them is wrong, they are not like any other auto, get and drive one and you opinion will change that is for sure.

MarkF

Guru
I work at least twice a week in an Audi garage, I am yet to see a DSG box on the floor, also they are not that expensive to get repaired around a £1,000 in most cases

Great, but £1000 is less than any of my last 3 cars cost to purchase and they cost £0.00 in repairs.^_^ Honda CRV 2L, Jeep Cherokee 4L, Focus MK1 1.6.

screenman

Legendary Member
Great, but £1000 is less than any of my last 3 cars cost to purchase and they cost £0.00 in repairs.^_^ Honda CRV 2L, Jeep Cherokee 4L, Focus MK1 1.6.

That is your choice, I have run bangers before just prefer something different now, in fact Pam still prefers too. My point was the dsg is not as scary as some think and I have never heard of a car being written off because of one failing.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I like a clutch pedal , I looked at a Yeti ,tax and fuel economy made the choice for me.
Great car but I think you can do better cost per mile wise...if your bothered

Drago

Legendary Member
DSG is now very sharp, very efficient, if you like that sort of thing. And not everyone does. Some people just plain prefer a standard manual, in much the same way I've always liked a proper slush.

And DSG is much more reliable than the early days, and much better understood if it does break. However, theres no denying it's Achilles heel - when the clutch pack does eventually require replacement through normal wear and tear, instead of being in the typical £250-£500ish range (more with a DMF) it's £1000+. For that reason, if someone is looking to buy to squeeze every last potential mile out of the car I wouldn't advise it. For someone looking to replace their car before it gets beyond 5 or 7 years, or 80k+ miles, then it's a reasonably safe bet these days.

None of the different systems are perfect, all have their advantages and drawbacks. It's simply a matter of selecting one which suits both driver preference and ownership needs. The OP likes manual shifters. I like slush. Screenie likes DSG. And we're all correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom