Skoda Yeti - and now Tiguan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
If it had 100,000 miles and you were faced with well North of a bag of sand for a new clutch we can be fairly sure your plans would suddenly change.

yours is now at the age where the mechatronics start to become troublesome rather than the box itself. There's no free lunch.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
If it had 100,000 miles and you were faced with well North of a bag of sand for a new clutch we can be fairly sure your plans would suddenly change.

yours is now at the age where the mechatronics start to become troublesome rather than the box itself. There's no free lunch.

A penny a mile seems good value.

Drago

Legendary Member
It is, but that's small consolation when you suddenly have to find over a grand to repair a car that may not be worth a great deal more than that by then anyway. Hence if one is intending to keep a car for as long as possible, until it is reclaimed by nature, I'd always advise the KISS principle.

I used to like a sludge box until I drove a dsg, they sure are different.

Oy yes, slush is definitely an acquired taste. Inefficient, you need an engine with a decent spread of torque to make it work, and they're not good for economy.

On the other hand, if you don't possess a single Nigel Mansell gene then they're great for the lazy and languid drivers who just want comfort and minimum workload, and the main load bearing component is the fluid itself - that means if they're maintained properly they're potentially the most reliable option. They're also great for towing, as at low speed the torque converter actually acts as a torque multiplier, essentially giving the box a low range.

But for anyone who takes even the slightest bit of pleasure from driving, they're not the transmission of choice.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
My Saab is on 133000 miles, nothing wrong with it apart from looking a bit scruffy. Your Yeti has at least 10 more years in it.
I don't have a Yeti.... but yes, unless circumstances or a lottery win dictate otherwise in some way, I'm not planning to change

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Thanks all for previous replies.

Apologies for thread resurrection but still not bought the Yeti, still dithering on specification.

I've decided on a Yeti Outdoor, manual, 4x4, trim spec not too fussed, but probably SEL. What I still haven't decided on is diesel or petrol. We won't be doing many miles, so I'm not really bothered by fuel consumption, nor am I particularly bothered about maintenance costs and potential DPF issues down the line. A bit concerned of creeping 'diesel free' zones in some cities, e.g. Bristol have banned them completely in city centre from early next year. So, for that reason, petrol is attractive.

However, what I'm more interested in is difference in 'drivability' between petrol and diesel. I've mentioned that we have a very steep, rough, potholed driveway, think ski jump, approx 400m long. So, petrol Yeti appeals but would I regret it when trying to climb up the drive, will I be revving the nuts off it, whereas, with a diesel I could just stick it in first and let the torque just drag me up at not much more than tickover?

Hard to judge without a back to back comparison but that's not really a possibility.

I have a 1.8 Audi TT Quattro and that crawls up quite easily but it's putting out 320N-m as opposed to 250N-m of a 1.8 petrol yeti (same engine, different tune/turbo, I think)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Presumably you'll want a test drive before purchase? Tell the salesman you want to be assured itll handle your driveway, then that way you'll know for sure, but I really dont see it as an issue. Moderately decent ground clearance, short overhangs, a deliberately low first gear...itll be fine.

keithmac

Guru
Petrol and Diesel will have a Dual Mass Flywheel, Petrol has Catalytic Converter Diesel has DPF. Modern DPF is miles apart from the earlier versions which gave them all a bad name.

For me you just can't beat the low rpm torque of a good 2l Diesel.

Our next will be Diesel again (D5).

keithmac

Guru
Both will have mechanical high pressure fuel pump bolted to the engine and high pressure fuel injectors so the "reliability" evens out new petrol vs diesel imho.

Top Bottom