Skoda Yeti - and now Tiguan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Petrol and Diesel will have a Dual Mass Flywheel, Petrol has Catalytic Converter Diesel has DPF. Modern DPF is miles apart from the earlier versions which gave them all a bad name.

For me you just can't beat the low rpm torque of a good 2l Diesel.

Our next will be Diesel again (D5).
We've go 2 D5s and a T5. I must confess that I am rather enjoying the newishly-arrived T5 quite a lot, because revs, but by god it's a consumptive old Hector :ohmy:

I would never ever drive a 4 cylinder diesel again though (and the D5's starting to feel its age IMHO, but is a fine engine indeed)

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
I had a Volvo V50 with a 2.4 litre 5 cylinder D5 motor. Was a great engine, lots of go and made a fabulous noise. Downside was it was alarmingly thirsty!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Unless I was only planning to keep it for 2 / 3 years, don't think I would be buying a new or nearly new petrol OR diesel car at present. Think I would go for a Hybrid (none plug in).

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a Volvo V50 with a 2.4 litre 5 cylinder D5 motor. Was a great engine, lots of go and made a fabulous noise. Downside was it was alarmingly thirsty!
Just out of interest, what were you getting? Managing 32.4 overall in my XC90 D5 185 Geartronic, which considering the size of the car and the grunt the engine churns out I reckon is not bad at all.

I love the word "grunt" - would make a great name for a band!

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Mine was 180bhp and Geartronic too, and from memory achieved something like 36 mpg, which is piss poor for a medium sized diesel motor. The grunt and noise almost redeemed it but I got to hate the gearbox so I ended up swapping it for a 2008 SAAB 9-5 diesel estate, which I still own 10 years later.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Its not brilliant, but a more economical 4 pot cant match the grunt, torque spread or smoothness. If economy worried me I'd have kept the Smart :laugh:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Mine was 180bhp and Geartronic too, and from memory achieved something like 36 mpg, which is piss poor for a medium sized diesel motor. The grunt and noise almost redeemed it but I got to hate the gearbox so I ended up swapping it for a 2008 SAAB 9-5 diesel estate, which I still own 10 years later.
Those Euro 4 engines were the poorest for mpg of the whole lot, being strangled by early emissions gubbins. The gearbox was the AW55 and a perfectly decent 'box (that is, until they die because sealed for life said Volvo bean counters who were idiots) so unsure why ire aroused?

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Those Euro 4 engines were the poorest for mpg of the whole lot, being strangled by early emissions gubbins. The gearbox was the AW55 and a perfectly decent 'box (that is, until they die because sealed for life said Volvo bean counters who were idiots) so unsure why ire aroused?

It was a while back so can't be certain why I disliked it so much, but I seem to recall it being slightly hesitant, and jerky. Thirstier and noisier? I've always preferred manual boxes.

Having said that, yesterday I tried my mates Skoda Kodiaq diesel, with a DSG gearbox, and I was pretty impressed. Very smooth and for that kind of car a good match - it's not 'involving', but it's a mile eating load lugger, not a sports car.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It was a while back so can't be certain why I disliked it so much, but I seem to recall it being slightly hesitant, and jerky. Thirstier and noisier? I've always preferred manual boxes.

Having said that, yesterday I tried my mates Skoda Kodiaq diesel, with a DSG gearbox, and I was pretty impressed. Very smooth and for that kind of car a good match - it's not 'involving', but it's a mile eating load lugger, not a sports car.
Ah. Your V50 had over say 60K miles on it perhaps? Because needed ATF change that Volvo said it didn't need, if that was the case, of which what you describe are the classic symptoms.

Drago

Legendary Member
The AW55 five speed can be hesitant when pulling away, but the trick is never to be too harsh in the throttle when moving off the line. Ease the throttle for a split second to allow the fluid a moment to pump around the internals and get the necessary valves opened, and then you can be more vigorous. People give it the beans and then 3 seconds later wonder why they haven't moved forward :laugh: - you can't drive a slush like that! The AW TF80SC 6 speed box is better, but you still have to drive it properly or it hesitates, as does every torque converter slush if you ask it to do something it doesn't want to do too abruptly.

Aside from that, great box with a good lockup function in all forward gears, and the geartronic is nice. You're right - ignore Volvos advice on fluid changes and listen to Aisin Warner. My TF80SC had new fluid at about 80k and 137k and is crisp and responsive. Neglect changes and they become reallyms luggish to change, very hesitant, and can slip between gears.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
I know you’re all desperate to know what I’ve bought, so heres an update:

Picked my daughter up from Taunton station yesterday afternoon, and as the VW showroom was nearby we pulled in for a gander.

”Have you gat any used Tiguan, AWD, SE Nav spec?”
“No, but let’s see what’s coming in, what’s your budget?”
“Max £18000, cash, no PX. Would be happier if it was less”
He goes off, few minutes later.
”I think we have what you want. April 2017, SE Nav, blue, AWD, DSG, 16000 miles, £17995. Coming in on Wednesday.”

I ”ooo“ and ”erm”, taken aback by the immediacy of the situation. “Bit pricey, too new, not sure about the colour. Help I’m drowning!”

At this point, my daughter who is super smart, intelligent (uni lecturer), logical, decisive, slightly bossy, and has absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever, takes over.

”Look, you’ve been dithering about for months. You said you like blue. Mum needs a car soon. It’s AWD. Make a decision. Is it what you are looking for? Is it in budget? Is it the right spec? Is it a good price? If so, buy it. If you don’t buy it it’s because you don’t really want to buy anything. So stop fannying about and buy the fecking car!”

Found it hard to argue with daughter. And it’s local. So I’ve put a £100 reserve on it, my wife will test drive on Wednesday. I’d be very surprised if I’m not driving it hone on Saturday afternoon.

To be honest, I didn’t think I’d get such a low mileage for £18k, but price is about right. Wonder if I’d said my budget was £17.5 he’d have come back with it at that price. Doubt it. He did say not to haggle but would give a little bit just to make me feel better.

Looks like this:

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I know you’re all desperate to know what I’ve bought, so heres an update:

Picked my daughter up from Taunton station yesterday afternoon, and as the VW showroom was nearby we pulled in for a gander.

”Have you gat any used Tiguan, AWD, SE Nav spec?”
“No, but let’s see what’s coming in, what’s your budget?”
“Max £18000, cash, no PX. Would be happier if it was less”
He goes off, few minutes later.
”I think we have what you want. April 2017, SE Nav, blue, AWD, DSG, 16000 miles, £17995. Coming in on Wednesday.”

At this point, my daughter who is super smart, intelligent (uni lecture), logical, decisive, slightly bossy, and has absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever, takes over.

”Look, you’ve been dithering about for months. Make a decision. Is it what you are looking for? Is it in budget? Is it the right spec? Is it a good price? If so, buy it. If you don’t buy it, it’s because you don’t really want to buy anything. So stop fannying about and buy the fecking car!”

To be honest, I didn’t think id get such a low mileage for £18k, but price is about right. Wonder if I’d said my budget was £17.5 he’d have come back with it at that price. Doubt it. He did say not to haggle but would give a little bit just to make me feel better.

Found it hard to argue with daughter. And it’s local. So I’ve put a £100 reserve on it, my wife will test drive on Wednesday. I’d be very surprised if I’m not driving it hone on Saturday afternoon. Looks like this:

View attachment 541910

Nice car, I would hate to be without a DSG box, currently looking for a car with that box in for my wife.

I’m presuming you are not planning on going off road and just want the 4x4 for hills in snow?
As said several times, petrol will always win over diesel if doing less than 10-15k miles a year

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I've heard that Denise is a real goer, mind :smile:

ETA
(Which now makes no sense since poster above has edited his post which contained a mildly amusing predictive text error) ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom