Sky ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DannO

Hi, just completed my second Sky Ride and found it quite enjoyable and layed back. Just wondering if anyone else has joined a ride and if so how they found it? Cheers:rolleyes:

Which one?

3tyretrackterry

i did the Leicester syride yesterday and i thought it was great well organised well attended a pity that the weather wasnt as good as it could have been i went round once on my trike met Arch from Velovision and Cyclechat saw Marc triker and Nick and was genuinly impressed need more rides like this. i want to try a couple of skride locals now

Arch

Married to Night Train
i did the Leicester syride yesterday and i thought it was great well organised well attended a pity that the weather wasnt as good as it could have been i went round once on my trike met Arch from Velovision and Cyclechat saw Marc triker and Nick and was genuinly impressed need more rides like this. i want to try a couple of skride locals now

I did the Leicester Skyride yesterday and met 3tyretrackterry :hello:... (and others!).

Good fun. I was a bit nervy, not being on a familiar bike, and with so many people ambling about on the route - made it hard to overtake. I know the point isn't to overtake, but when your natural speed is just a little higher than the person in front....

I was amused by one family group. Mum was riding one handed, and with the other towing a little on a likeabike with a rope. She was riding moderately straight, but he was weaving to the full extent of the (long) rope.... :biggrin:

I also did a bit of the extra King Lear loop, by mistake - I think a sign at a corner had blown round, and I (and several others) missed it.

And I helped a lady whose chain had come off at the front - well, I held the back wheel up while she turned the cranks to re-seat it. When we caught up with her husband, she was full of praise for me... :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think Hilldodger meant, which one did you do - him having been heavily involved with the Leicester one...

BearPear

Veteran
We did the Bradford one last weekend and thought that the route could have been better! Everyone seemed to have a good time, but the local press (and the SkyRide website) over-estimated attendance at 5000! No way was there that many people there.

Having said that, I would do one again, just for the enjoyment of being with so many like-minded people having fun!

Steve H

Large Member
We did the Bradford one last weekend and thought that the route could have been better! Everyone seemed to have a good time, but the local press (and the SkyRide website) over-estimated attendance at 5000! No way was there that many people there.

Having said that, I would do one again, just for the enjoyment of being with so many like-minded people having fun!

Yes - me and the family did the Bradford Skyride. Overall very good. Route could have been a bit better and I defo think 5000 is an inflated figure. Good fun though and loads of free things for the kids to do - bouncy castles, climbing walls.

EssexRider

London one....... AWFUL

average speed about 1 mph stop start all the way round, nice pile up in the "loud tunnel" at about half 2 which had a queue of bikes about 200m long behind it xD

brokenbetty

Über Member
We (boyfriend and I) did the London one today. Great to be riding around with so many people just enjoying being on bikes, and to feel part of something important enough to close central London for the day :smile:

It was stop/starty - the noisy tunnel was fine for us (and I thought a great way of making what would otherwise be a grim concrete tunnel into something fun) but we got stuck in a mess around the Houses of Parliament, so I'm guessing like car congestion the sticky bits varied during the day. But as long as you chilled out and went with the flow it was fine. Basically, a friendly atmosphere with most people just happy to take the day as it went.

I probably wouldn't do it again for myself but absolutely would with friends who don't cycle regularly. There's no way my boyfriend would ride most of those roads with normal traffic so it was great to be out with him.

One other thing that was nice to see was how few helmets there were. It seemed like most people were (quite rightly) seeing it as a safe fun bimble not taking their life in their hands.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One other thing that was nice to see was how few helmets there were. It seemed like most people were (quite rightly) seeing it as a safe fun bimble not taking their life in their hands.

thumbsup.png

Canardly

Veteran
15 of us jumped on a train and did the london sky ride. Agree with comments bout speed etc but really had a fab day. Just to see the usual famous buildings from a new perspective, 85,000 cyclists with no traffic and great atmosphere made it worth it for me. Marshalls were great as were all volunteers they did a fantastic job will go again. Object lesson why the hell anyone drives a car in central london to get to work defeats me.

Top Bottom