Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been thinking of Skype to get free internet calls for my folks to relatives around the world.

How does it work?

I have installed a broadband line into their granny flat as an extension of my own phoneline but do I need a computer connected online in their flat for it to work? What happens if someone calls and the computer is off? Can you still get Skype telephone handsets or will the folks need to talk to a headset or the computer?

Thank you.

Keith Oates

Janner
As far as I know both parties must have a computer switched on and logged into Skype. If someone tries to call but the 'recieving' computer is switched off you can leave a message which will be seen when the other person next logs onto Skype. When you log into your Skype then you can see if any of your regular contacts are online and call them. I usually send a text message via the mobile phone telling my contact that I'm waiting for them on Skype.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark barker

Get a few cheap "3" mobile phones. They offer Skype as a free function, so you can have unlimited calls without needing to add any credit to a PAYG handset.

andyfromotley

i use it to call landlines in the usa, you do pay but it is very cheap, about 1.2 pence per minute, however there are cheaper options out there, in particular companies where you dial a prefix first and then the number, loads do calls to all over the world for less than a penny per minute, and of course the quality tends to be better than skype. (check out moneysaving expert for a guide on how to use them) That said, if they can master the video call then skype really cant be beaten, a good video call is almost like being with the person on the other end.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks for the replies, I had forgotten I had posted and it has been on my mind.

Mostly it is relatives in the far east and Australia who are wishing to get in touch, mostly the calls are incoming for my folks.
having the computer on and getting messages is going to be a little awkward for them I think. So far it has been easier to relay emails on their behalf and the calls are kept to a minimum.

I will look into Skype and see if I can get it working for me and then transfer it to my folks to work with. I may need to set it up via my pc with just a headset for them rather then having them leave a pc connected and switched on at the right times.

Thank you.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
i use it to call landlines in the usa, you do pay but it is very cheap, about 1.2 pence per minute, however there are cheaper options out there, in particular companies where you dial a prefix first and then the number, loads do calls to all over the world for less than a penny per minute, and of course the quality tends to be better than skype. (check out moneysaving expert for a guide on how to use them) That said, if they can master the video call then skype really cant be beaten, a good video call is almost like being with the person on the other end.

Be a little careful with the prefix numbers. The cost they quote is quite often the cheapest if using a specific phone provider. My wife phones South America 2 or 3 times a week. She was using a prefix service that said "call charges are 1p per minute" I thought the bills seemed high and checked the calls and found out we were being charged 8p per minute. I phoned Virgin who do our phone and they said that you would only pay 1p with BT and they couldn't bill that number at that price. Skype is great though and with a good internet connection at both ends you can have pretty good video calls.

Top Bottom