Slightly OT Marathon Des Sables (Across the Sahara)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
But it's racing of an extreme sort. Friend of a friend is taking part in the Marathon Des Sables (he does a bit of Ironman on the side to keep him fit!). Only took up running five or six years ago and is now extremely hardcore. Fortunately for me cycling is his weakest sport but I still think I'm in trouble as I offered to help him train for his next tri.

For those who are interested the race began today and the runner is Graham Booty. See http://www.darbaroud.com/. Graham is currently sitting 145 out of 794. But as I said in an encouraging e-mail there are eight girls ahead of him.:smile::biggrin:.

Respect. I wish I had half his ability.

Keith Oates

Janner
Sounds like a tough race, don't think I'll try it though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I considered it once when I was into ultras but I think it was one to miss for me. Too hot, too sandy and too dangerous. I'm not sure if it's safer nowadays but I remember an incident 10 -15 years ago where a runner went off route and couldn't be found for days. He only survived by being rescued by some nomads!

Chapeau to your mate though

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Crikey, he's going great guns. Came 58th yesterday and ran close to 26 miles. He's pushed his overall ranking up to 100th. That's out of approx. 790 runners. Awesome.

Sounds like he's progressing well.

A work contact (serving in TA, winters in Norway etc) entered and finished MdS twice. I was pretty impressed - and never took the piss again.

Top Bottom