Slightly Windy Ride - Derbyshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, it stopped raining...hmm I'll go for a spin.... be back in 3 hours or so...

Left sunny Stockport (for once) a little windy, and headed out to Woodhead - flew up it - passed a guy near the top that was pedalling slower than me as he was going down.... - I shout "Morning...It's quicker this way "...

Get over the top and drop into bottom gear....soon exceed 40 (ohh it is windy) - as I hit 50 I think OK time to slow down as it was a bit gusty and the bike was now getting twitchy - by the time I've done that, I've recorded 55 mph :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy:, managed to slow to 45 (yanked on the brakes) and kept it at that speed - even the lower slopes I was exceeding 40..madness.. :biggrin:

Right at the bottom and over to Langsett then another right past the reservoirs and on to Strines - this was well windy - buffeted crossing the first reservoir and even had to pedal down a few of the 1 in 4's - they were covered in running water from the previous nights rain.... fun, hardly any cars though.... I now remember why we all used to moan going over to Strines..... as there are 3 nasty climbs just after descending the steep hills -you've got to get back up......

Then onto the main A57 and head down to Ladybower then up and over the Snake - full on head wind - just 6 mph coming over the top in a 39 x 21 - sooo windy, followed by a very windy (headwind) descent into Glossop - getting blown all over, and cars giving me little room... typical - Now I know why Woodhead was so fast :biggrin:. 57 miles in 3:30 wasn't bad - the wife and kids thought I was nuts.....

Plax

Guru
Sounds like an ace ride. You've got a Roadie I take it to go that fast?

I had to w*rk today (double bubble and all that) for a few hrs. Had to pick up some stuff so couldn't take the bike in. When I got home though, I got itchy feet and thought I'd take the bike out and take advantage of the extra hour of daylight. Just a quickie to Llanberis and back. Met an interesting "traveller" by the lagoons and had a chat with him - he'd just cycled to the shop to get a few tins of special brew. He recommended a few rides I hadn't considered before. I've walked them but the idea of cycling them had never popped into my head.
I don't think I'm gonna get to cycle much next week to work as we'll be burning the candle at both ends with an inspection. I'm just thinking of all the extra money.........

longers

Legendary Member
You were quick today, 55? ;)

It's exposed coming down the Snake if the wind is against you. Especially if you're not getting any room from cars. If it's still or behind you you can get enough speed to hog the lane properly and easily keep them behind you. If travelling slower they want to come past - even if it's not a good idea.

Fancy a CCCC(M&OD) ride sometime? I think Dan Bo will go again, Trio might come down and others might fancy it. Maybe.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Will do Longers - up for a run out - been a while since I've been out with folk... my old Club Marple Wheelers passed away about 10 years ago - did try to get it back up again but didn't happen.....

I decided I needed a good run out...... 55 mph.... yep only saw 50 though (checked the computer later) before I decided I needed to back off with the wind...... and that was on the blooming brakes as the road was becoming more exposed to the cross winds...... did get a bit hairy as the training bike started to speed wobble under the braking and the cross wind......, so just applied the rear - the side winds were hairy that's why I backed off.

Snake is really disappointing with a headwind as it's a great descent into Glossop without it... although good old Long Hill can be really dangerous in a cross wind as you come into Whaley.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Oh, and to top it off, got home to a bacon butty (nice) cup of tea, then off to the Hospital to visit the MIL (up 4 flights of stairs) - the kids and my wife were laughing as the last two sets were killing me...... made the MIL smile - she's pretty stable, but has no use of her right side and can't talk properly - so lots of help when she gets out...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's great around ladybower, sounded awesome fossyant. Didn't get out today myself as not been 100% since Thursday.

Top Bottom