slipping chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter88

Veteran
Snapped the chain on my commuter this week. wasn't bothered as i had already bought a new sram pc870 chain and Shimano HG40 cassette ready to change this weekend.

So i changed the chain and cassette checked the chain length was carefull to check everything was spaced properly and tightened up.

Took the bike out for a test ride and the chain is slipping when i put pressure on the pedals. Could this be the front gears that are worn and slipping ?

Zoiders

Easy way to tell if the front ring has gone is if they have all taken on a pronounced sharks fin shape - don't however mistake the deliberate profiling of some of the the teeth to improve shifting as wear.

I would also not be surprised if you only have one ring that is worn out, I am guessing you use that one the most.

Maz

Guru
Check the shape of the teeth on the front chainring(s).

See if they are like the ones on my bike (photos in this link):

http://www.cyclechat...jerky-movement/

Knowledgeable folk on here have advised me that my chainring is very worn out and needs replacing. I will be doing this soon.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Well, it could be the front chainring or it could be the rear cassette. In general, the cassette will wear more quickly than the front chain rings as the individual teeth engage with the chain more often. We could be of more help if you could post a side on view of casstette and chainset.

A clue could be if the slipping occurs more frequently when in particular gear combinations.

Cheule

The OP did state he changed the cassette and chain, which normally leaves two suspects, the front rings and the jockey wheels.

ramses

On your rear mech do you have a chain tensioner? Is it set up correctly, may need a little more tension if the front cogs are ok ?

OP
OP
Peter88

Peter88

Veteran
Had another look at the drivechain after reading the replies (thanks to all posters) and have spotted that the powerlink is not meshing with the jockey wheels properly.

Top Bottom