Sloppy jockey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

I've been having problems getting my gears adjusted just right lately, and I've noticed the guide jockey wheel is surprisingly sloppy, with a good few mm of play.
So I'm assuming it's worn and am about to order these. Do you think I'm on the right track here?

They are the ones that were fitted on my (cheap) Der. I got them (same price) from one of the LBSs. Don't forget that the top jockey is intended to have a small amount of play to help slight mis-matches in mech alignment and for ease when changing gear.

Quite a saving there Steve (considering the delivery charge at SJS). Just thought of something .... Looking at that packet both sprockets look identical but the last pair I got had slight differences between them, so I had to look them up on the Shimano site - that's how I found out about the slight play in the top jockey. I wonder if the spec has changed for some reason?

alfablue

The guide jockey is designed to have some lateral play in it - otherwise there would be no tolerance at all for less than optimum indexing.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
local lbs recommends always getting sealed jockey wheels as a replacement.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Yeah I suppose I might as well splash out on decent ones while I'm at it.
I realise some amount of play is necessary, but this is really very wobbly, and if that isn't the cause of my indexing troubles I don't know what is! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the tips.
Any suggestions for a pair of decentish quality sealed jockeys for a RX100 mech?

alfablue

I think Tacx make sealed ones for about £11, though I have found Shimano ones with ceramic bearings to be totally reliable, I have only had to replace one in 12 years of cycling (so about 40 000 miles).

barq

Tacx are wonderful while they work, but when the bearings go they seem to seize totally which is a pain. I'm not the only person who has experienced this - a few other people reported it back on C+. I still use them, but just be aware of it.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Hmm that's interesting barq, I'm after reliability for extended touring really, so failure resulting in total seizure could be a real bummer... Unless I carry spares I suppose. :rolleyes:
Blimey... Nothing's ever simple is it?

alfablue

I think you should buy this one (Shimano Ultegra 8 speed 6400/6208 Guide jockey wheel ) - they are sealed ceramic bearings and will last almost forever. There should be some play in the guide wheel (about 1.5mm), and it won't affect indexing - a more likely culprit is your gear cable - I use a sealed gear cable (Mudlover) for the rear mech as mud and rain frequently put the shifting out.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Just looked at it again and it's definitely more than 1.5mm of play, closer to 5mm I'd say.
I'll go for that Ultegra ceramic one then, seems sensible. Why is it specified as a guide jockey though? Why wouldn't it be the same as the tension jockey? Should I replace the tension one while I'm at it?

Top Bottom