Slow DOWN - WAVE, WAVE!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Driving home from work today I saw a 4x4 driving out of my village towing a caravan, and it flashed it's lights at me, and made a palm down gesticulation. Now I am assuming (as I didn't know the bloke, or recognise his monstrosity car) he was warning me of a speed camera.

I made a w****r sign back.

A bloke I work with had already told me there was a mobile speed camera in the village, although I did tell him I don't need warning, I can clearly see posted speed limit signs.

It bugs the hell out of me, because I wonder what he (the 4x4 caravan towing bloke) was hoping to achieve by warning me, and what his motivation was?

He had a woman sat in the passenger seat, and at least 1 child in the back. So it is fair to say he 'could' be a family man on his way to a weekend away with his clan?

He saw me (and other cars) driving towards a village with a clearly marked 30mph limit. There was a speed camera van there, and he flashed.........So......

He doesn't want me to speed in the village, get caught, and have to pay a fine? (accept responsibility)

or...

He is ok with people speeding in villages, just doesn't want the pesky police/govt robbing the poor motorist with a speeding stealth tax?

Now.......what would he do if there 'wasn't' a speed camera there?

Would he still flash and wave at people in cars entering every village/town he drives through?

I think not........but why not?

I have a problem.........he had a 'family' in his car.

How would he feel if people were warned of speed cameras in his village, and thereby not made to accept responsibility for speeding, and on another day (with no warning) a speeding driver runs one of his kids down?

You're thinking too hard. Personally, I never pay the slightest attention to speed cameras, since I know what the limit is and I know what speed I'm doing, so I also ignore anyone flashing me to warn me about them. Making the "self-gratification artist" sign seems a bit over the top to me.

Speeding is seen as socially acceptable. You are almost expected to do it (I'll admit I'm no angel). Therefore, he felt like he was being kind to you.

Humans are terrible at assessing risk. Whilst it is easy for someone to see that a cyclists is in if he jumps a red light, it is harder to understand the risks associated with speeding. As people will never be able to directly understand the risks (this isn't a criticism of anyone, just a psychological fact), speeding needs to be made socially unacceptable. Can you imaging anyone flashing a driver to warn them police are about if he is driving drunk?

Bman

Guru
Hehe. That reminds me. When we were young we used our CB's to warn truckers of speed traps in the area. Of course, there was none :biggrin: :whistle:

joebingo

Über Member
Driving home from work today I saw a 4x4 driving out of my village towing a caravan, and it flashed it's lights at me, and made a palm down gesticulation. Now I am assuming (as I didn't know the bloke, or recognise his monstrosity car) he was warning me of a speed camera.

Meh, if it has the effect of slowing someone down, what's the problem? It's quite clear that people carry on speeding whether or not they are stopped by the law.

Its maybe an urban myth but I've heard stories of folk being prosecuted for signalling to other drivers that there is a speed trap.

No, that's true. And a good thing too ... :smile:

BenM

Veteran
Its maybe an urban myth but I've heard stories of folk being prosecuted for signalling to other drivers that there is a speed trap.

Short version:

Bloke gets prosecuted for obstructing a police officer in the course of their duty...

tl;dr version:

I suspect, reading between the reported lines, that the chap concerned parked up in front of the Speed 'trap' and started flashing oncoming drivers... he was subsequently asked to stop by a lady plod and he (presumably) gave her some lip rather than saying yes officer no officer I will go on my way now officer. At that point he was arrested for obstructing a police officer in the course of their duty and was put in front of the beak, found guilty and fined appropriately.

B.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Or there's a third route - he doesn't approve of speeding in villages, but at the same time doesn't think speed cameras are the way to deal with the problem.

I didn't realise I was being angsty, or stroppy.

I just have a problem with hypocrites and their abject dismissal of any responsibility towards road safety.

Nuff said.

But what you need to realise is that it's only your interpretation that he was doing that. You lost the moral high ground - quite comprehensively - the minute you shook your coffee beans at him.

ferret fur

Why don't you gesticulate at anyone passing in the opposite direction who appears to be speeding?

Sorry, this seems to me like you are over-reacting to this.