Slowed up by bin men - must be my fault then.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bet this is not unusual for many, but it really got my back up this morning on the way to work.

As I headed down a road towards an oncoming bin lorry going about its business, I could see the queue of cars waiting behind it building up. A large gap between me and the car in front meant that a queueing car could overtake the bin lorry in my direction. No problem.

As is usual, all of the queuing cars follow the bumpers of the one in front and overtake, so I slow accordingly in primary, waiting for one of them to actually look for oncoming traffic before maneuvering and let us through. Eventually I am forced to stop by oncoming traffic in my lane, with enough space for them to turn back into the oncoming lane once they clear the lorry.

The final car comes through the gap, still on my side of the road, rolls down the window and shouts 'get out of the road you <bleep>'.

I am still confused that it was aimed at me when logically any grievance should have been aimed at the binmen, or even more accutelay at himself for not following the HC, but even so...rude, impatient s.o.b. I bet if i'd been on a motorbike or car he wouldn't have said anything.

First verbals received in quite a few years <sulk>

Vent over.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Brilliant, he's hardly going to shout at a bunch of burly bin-men so you're the obvious target of his anger.
I had it yesterday morning the other way, queue of cars stuck behind a bin wagon at a canal bridge. I filtered through and passed them all, when the bin wagon eventually moved and they caught up with me i got a load of punishment passes.

You were the first thing in front.

It's just that most drivers only look at the vehicle immediately in front and follow that. There is no need to look further up the road to anticipate hazards, judge road conditions etc. Ergo, any hold up is the fault of the vehicle immediately in front

What excuse does he have to vent his anger at anyone?

Absolutely none.

Binmen doing their job, of course a bin wagon is going to cause an obstruction. Chill out and wait behind it until its safe to pass.

You are certainly not in the wrong, your just making progress on your side of the road as you are perfectly entitled to.

I would nt worrying too much he is just another knacker.

sheddy

Legendary Member
It's just that most drivers only look at the vehicle immediately in front and follow that

This is also know as mountaineering (each one tied to the one in front)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The other factor is that drivers really can't argue with a big bin lorry holding them up, and they don't dare to either. An oncoming cyclist, on the other hand, provides the perfect small-enough scapegoat.

Davidc

Guru
You can't get uptight about every w****r in a car who's rude!

It's difficult sometimes but the safest bet is to ignore them and move on.

Lol, not bothered now.

His rant was misplaced. Telling me to get out of the road when he was in my lane after pulling an overtake without checking for oncoming traffic was kind of ironic.

It only stung because I try and present a more positive picture of a cyclist to motorists.
If he rode a bike he would be rlj'ing on an unlit bso swearing at everyone else on the road. At least I can claim the moral high ground.

It's just that most drivers only look at the vehicle immediately in front and follow that

This is also know as mountaineering (each one tied to the one in front)
This is also known as the Sheep Mentality ;-)

markg0vbr

Über Member
you should have leapt off your bike and lifted it of the road bowing as each car went past, how a mere cyclist even in penitential hold up tax paying car drivers, shame shame same.
you should be riding on the pavement any way.:whistle:

when i was laying in the road with a broken hip a chap that was to take my bike home had to stand in the road as the cars squeezing by where coming so close to me 10cm one of them he thought it had hit me.

you should know all cyclists are scum and put on earth to upset hard working harassed motorists.
remember with them driving the car every where, eating fast food, smoking and drinking, all the money that you pay in tax (direct or indirect) in to the NHS will be paying the bill for all the extra health care they will need, makes you all worm inside.;)

sorry cant sleep high on pain meds if it upsets anyone please ignore, :wacko:

Paco de Bango

It is surprising how much is my fault for being a cyclist.

Every night when I ride home from the station there's a strech of road on the crest of a hill, and if there's a car behind it's always desperate to overtake.

4 or 5 times now I've been overtaken by a car that, although it's given me plenty of room, it's made an oncoming vehicle have to slow down or stop completely.

Without fail, the driver of the car that's had to slow down or stop gives me a look that says 'You caused that'.

Never fails to amuse me.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Drivers have been really good down here past 2 weeks. Lots of waiting, wide passing.

Hmm when they passed you window down, a hand rubbed across their face might have been funny. :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
You're not in a car, what do you expect. You do know that the road is for cars & anyone else using them is using them at motorists sufferance & should really be banned from the roads. :rolleyes:

I once had an altercation with a motorist forced onto the verge about here when another car barged past me without enough room. Slight irony was that I had the idea of pulling into that side lane/track if the driver hadn't managed to overtake me by the time I got there. Anyway I stopped to ask if the person who was forced onto the verge was okay & got a load of verbal, apparently I should be cycling on the pavement & had forced the car to overtake me dangerously. The guy got rather flustered when I pointed out that cycling on a pavement is generally illegal & then as an aside asked him to point out where the pavement was!

Mad at urage

Another (marked company) van overtook me this morning on a blind bend, double solid white lines, about two inches to spare and told me as he passed to move over out of the way :rolleyes: .
[paranoid]I wonder how he knew the camera wasn't working this morning [/paranoid] :laugh:.

TBH they don't even realise that most of us (?at least a significant proportion I'd guess) drive cars too and we know the rules of the road better than they. Can't let it worry me TBH (although when I get a recording I'll complain to his employers).

Top Bottom