Small cut in tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

Had a puncture at the weekend which I've now fixed, but I'm left with a small (less than 1/4") cut in the sidewall of the tyre (700 x 23) through which I can see a little of the inner tube.

Am I asking for trouble riding on this, or is a cut that small ok?

New tyre?

Thanks

bc

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
New tyre, any exposure of the inner tube and you are asking for trouble.

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

Ok, I'm getting the message - for which, many thanks.

Now this (quite expensive) tyre has done all of 700 miles. Can anyone recommend a modestly priced tyre with good puncture protection? Only used for "training" i.e. don't need top end race tyres.

Thanks again

bc

domtyler

Über Member
beancounter said:
Ok, I'm getting the message - for which, many thanks.

Now this (quite expensive) tyre has done all of 700 miles. Can anyone recommend a modestly priced tyre with good puncture protection? Only used for "training" i.e. don't need top end race tyres.

Thanks again

bc

I've had this happen to me. Yes, it's a bummer. But, it is better to stick with decent tyres and look at how you pick up cuts and avoid doing that. It is mainly to do with where you ride, generally riding too near the gutter. Also become better at avoiding potholes and glass on the road.

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

domtyler said:
I've had this happen to me. Yes, it's a bummer. But, it is better to stick with decent tyres and look at how you pick up cuts and avoid doing that. It is mainly to do with where you ride, generally riding too near the gutter. Also become better at avoiding potholes and glass on the road.

Ok Dom, appreciate the advice.

Seems I can get a pair of Michelin Pro Race 2 for £30 - good idea?

bc

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yeh, Pro Race 2's are ment to be good. Have a search for tyre threads and you will see them
I use Conti Ultra Gatorskins. No punctures yet, even ended up hitting a bit pothoe after no-one signaled it and hit it hard and no puncture. Went around a round-about fast(at least 22mph) and they kept grip and i was lent over a good amount. Nice and grippy tyre, and pretty light.

gbb

Legendary Member
Had this a while ago beancounter, but my Gatorskins were only DAYS old and i got a 5mm slit in it. Didnt puncture, so i let it ride.
12, maybe 14 months later , it's still going, and the slit isnt any bigger.
It did cause the innertube to bulge through eventually and deflated, but i put a strip of emerypaper (rough side away from the innertube obviously) inside the tyre to support the innertube.
Its been going fine since.

Top Bottom