Smoking fish at home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, not some freaky Youtube video. I want to know how to smoke fish. I'm going mackerel fishing tomorrow (hoping to stock up the freezer, with luck) but I fancy smoking a few of the little buggers. I'm thinking biscuit tin with a rack, a false bottom, and barbecue woodchips, but I'm struggling to find things on tinterweb.

Anyone know how to do it?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Let me know if you find out! I've had the same problem smoking fish, as I've had trying to smoke a turkey. I can't keep them lit!

I seem to recall either Jaimie Oliver or Hugh Fearnley-Whatsit smoking fish my your method. Why not have a look at their websites? It seems you already know 90% of the method. Why not experiment by putting the biscuit tin on the bbq and give them (say) two hours smoking?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Ta. Huge Fiercely Widdlywotnot's website isn't searchable and I couldn't find much on there.

I did find some stuff on Youtube - basically a biscuit tin with the woodchips in connected to the bottom of a cheap barbecue by a length of pipe. Fish on rack in barbecue, light woodchips, close lid on barbie.

I don't have a barbecue so I might have to improvise...

mr Mag00

rising member
wok, tin foil, and tea.
place foil on base of wok, place tea on foil a rack to keep fish off tea and a tight fitting lid.
on hob in kitchen low heat just enough to create smoke

TVC

Put woodchips in a biscuit tin, rack over chips, fish on rack, put lid on tin.
Stick the whole thing on a gas ring or fire and leave.

If you want to cold smoke then you need to seperate the fish from the chips (no pun) in different containers with a pipe between.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Uncle Mort said:
But mackerel is so wonderful when eaten fresh you're better off just grilling I reckon.
That's what I did last time I had some fresh from the sea. This time round I'm hoping to have a lot of fish, enough to eat some fresh and smoke/freeze the rest.

...and we don't have a grill.

Some good tips there chaps, I like the wok idea. I'll let you know how I get on.

Keith Oates

Janner
Uncle Mort said:
I've used soaked hickory woodchips chucked on to charcoal emembers in a Weber barbecue, which was then completely closed. It was a bit hit and miss though, but good for big pieces of fish.

But mackerel is so wonderful when eaten fresh you're better off just grilling I reckon.

You're correct, Mackerel caught and eaten on the same day is one of the best fish dishes you can have.

They are also good smoked though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chuffy said:
Well, I'm back from my fishing trip.

I'm having sausages for tea.....xx(

Phew, smoked fish is something that makes me..........xx(xx(xx(xx(

My wife and kids like it, but there is nothing worse for me...... and I like fish.....

Top Bottom