Snapped chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you ride a MTB you should be carrying a small toolkit for self-help, this can be a life saver when out in the hills especially in winter. I carry a multi tool, a mini chain splitter, spare inner tube, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, a spare gear cable, spoke key, as well as a pump and in winter, a survival blanket. On an MTB breakages can and do happen; you can count on at least one "mechanical" on a group ride. The MTB code is that you're self-sufficient.

If you are road riding I guess your chain should be in good enough condition not to break. A cellphone might be your best option, or at least a £1 coin!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Get yourself a chain-splitter, most are less than a tenner, and a couple of SRAM powerlinks. Although you can thoeretically mend your chain by pushing the old pin back into the plates after a break, this is very much a "get you home" measure. Powerlinks are a more permanent fix.

RedBike

As above, chain splitter on the multi-tool, a few powerlinks.

I carry nearly the same as above apart from I never take a spoke key or puncture repair patches. I do have a few zip ties, piece of tape, light-weight fold up pliers (very helpfull when changing pads).

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
Cubist said:
Get yourself a chain-splitter, most are less than a tenner, and a couple of SRAM powerlinks. Although you can thoeretically mend your chain by pushing the old pin back into the plates after a break, this is very much a "get you home" measure. Powerlinks are a more permanent fix.

scook94

Veteran
tempessuk said:
How do i repair a snapped chain when i,m out on a long ride
As i had a long walk home today
Many thanks

Thanks for starting this thread, just ordered myself a splitter and some powerlinks. Watched the video on bicycletutor, think I should be able to manage that...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Park Tool mini chain splitter is all i carry.
If a link snaps on my fixed though, ill just remove a few links and turn the wheel around.
On a geared bike id just shorten the chain and rejoin with a power link. Or just mend the chain and re join it with no power link.

Crankarm

Guru
tempessuk said:
How do i repair a snapped chain when i,m out on a long ride
As i had a long walk home today
Many thanks

Why did it break in the first place? Had you attempted to join it and not done it properly?

Although I carry a splitter, new OE Shimano pins and links, and spare Powerlinks, I've never had a chain break in all my years of cycling. I also routinely split chains to give them a deep clean and re-lube. I carry spare tubes and repair the punctured ones at home should a tyre get a puncture, but I have not had a puncture in about 10 years. However I had a tyre explode (115psi - BANG!) last year due to a small sharp piece of metal thrown into the road outside a motor spares place. The tyre split as well. Put in a new tube and used a several layers of card from a fag packet thrown nearby to get me home 15 miles. There is nothing worse then trying to mend a puncture in wet, cold and windy conditions as is a British summer.

Top Bottom