Snotty Bob......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People are starting to call me Snotty Bob, even though I've been this way for years.

Eating - My nose starts running
Running - I'm all snot and phlegm
Cycling - I'm snotting on both barrels
Swimming / Diving - you've guessed it, my top lip looks like.. ..something horrible.

I can't do nose breathing drills - I'd choke.

Is there anything I can do apart from trying to improve my aim? My tops all look like a wallpaper hanger's overalls before I've broken into a good sweat. When I play 5-a-side they make me go to the edge of the pitch to blow my nose through the fence and off the pitch and no one else has a snottery beak at all.

To be honest, it's starting to get me down, and in a cold wind it's uncomfortable.

Tips welcome.

Stig

Grow a thick moustache! :blush:

You could have sinus trouble with blocked airways. Consult your GP. It might just be a case of having a simple operation.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/Mosby_factsheets/sinus_drain.html

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Do you drink a lot of full fat milk?

I had a fried who had to pack in almost all dairy produce in order to stop producing so much snot or 'mucho moco', as they say in Spain!

Milk stimulates snot production, that's true. Good advice if you have a cold - stop the dairy.

I was put on Beconase for something similar recently. 2 squirts 3x daily for a small bottle's worth. It worked.

I also wash my nose out in the shower. Cup water in one hand, block one nostril with the other hand, open nostril in the water, breathe in, splutter, spit out, repeat other side. Seems to keep the snot down.

Tom87

I have the exact same problem. And it happens exaclty at the same times you've mentioned; exercise (swimming particularly bad) and eating. It's starting to piss me off too. I don't even have milk, but all I can think is that I'm allergic to something.

Might try some antihistamines.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't get it swiming - but don't do much - regularly get it cycling and running - try sports glasses as the wind in your eyes can increase the problem - I wear glasses anyway and still get it - just improve your aim, and watch for following riders.

I generally don't breath through my nose as I can't get enough air in - either that or I am always riding flat out !

I gave up drinking milk in '86 ('cos it made my coffee taste nicer and I got less snotty) - goodness only knows what I'd be like if I still drank it.

Glasses help a little bit.

My aim is pretty good - 3 basic shots. One forward, over the front with a dart either side of the wheel; 2 rear - overarm and underarm (both left and right but not at the same time) - and it doesn't go down well when eating in company.

Years ago I used to do the neti nasal douche, perhaps I should take it up again.

Strangely, I don't have any problems with sinus pain when diving - but there is no rush to look in the hat when I get out of the water and the next diver always insists I give the oral nasal a good clean. Maybe I should raise the subject at my next medical.

In a perverse way, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Cheers

Stig

Tynan

Veteran
gawd, see your doctor ffs

domtyler

Über Member
Definitely give the nasal irrigation a go. In a pint jug, fill with warm water, add a teaspoon of rock salt (not the cheap free-flowing table salt as it has a lot of additives) and half a teaspoon of Sodium Bicarbonate. Stir well until it is all dissolved and then take into the bathroom and lock the door.

In front of the mirror and over the sink, tip the spout of the jug up to one nostril while holding the other closed and breathe up through the open nostril. You will feel the warm, salty water go up your nose and down into your throat. At this point just hold it there for a few seconds then let it drain out naturally. After a while blow out what you can from that nostril. Repeat with the other nostril. Repeat until no more crap comes out.

You can do this several times a day, especially when you have a blocked nose or a cold.

Top Bottom