So Boris is now going to tackle obesity.... Deep-Fat Fryer ready plan?

dutchguylivingintheuk

Does that mean that a zonked-out sixteen year old, no hands on the bars, spliff in mouth, can ride straight across a give way junction and clean up when a passing car runs into him?
I didn't think it still applied if the error reached the extremes of irresponsibilyt / stupidity - but I could be wrong.
That said, is it right that that that pedestrians should be severely maimed as a consequence of making an error when the error is minor and risk would be minor if it were not for heavy machinery in their vicinity. It seems the risk of the dangerous machinery is being born by the vulnerable - but they're not even benefiting from its use
Well if insurance is the only issue after something like this usually that's sorted between the parents and the driver. (most people have like a small damage insurance (wappertje) that can be used to cover things like this, if it is one off.)
But legaly it could be an interesting one

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
1.6 million took part in the weight change survey conducted by the Covid King's college symptom study. Some interesting figures:

''This data suggests an average increase in body weight across the country being 0.78 kg (1.6 lbs), and up to 3 kg (6.5 lbs) in those who reported increased snacking have gained weight. The factors that may have contributed to weight gain during lockdown include increased snacking (35%), decreased levels of physical activity (34%), increased alcohol consumption (27%) and a less healthy diet (19%).''
''People whose snacking had increased during the lockdown period reported an average weight gain of 3 kg (6.5 lbs). People who reported a lower level of physical activity, gained 2.6 kg on average, whereas those who reported increased alcohol consumption reported an average weight gain of 2 kg. Those who reported an unhealthier diet since March reported an average weight gain of 3.5 kg.''
‍....
''The lockdown weight gains are on average twice the weight gained over the Christmas holidays (0.37kg) and several times larger in those who snacked more during lockdown. Once weight has been gained it is hard to lose and research from many other studies shows that each kg (~2.2 lbs) of weight gained annually over 10 years was associated with a 49% increase in risk of developing type 2 diabetes and a 5 kg (~11 lbs) increment in adult body weight was associated with a 12% higher risk of heart disease over 10 years. ''

It also appears that of those reporting weight changes there were regional differences:

''The research also highlighted a big regional difference in the weight being gained across the UK, Residents of Scotland, Northern England and Wales gained almost twice as much weight as the south of England.''

Lead Researcher, Tim Spector:
If we don’t act now, this will create even more heart disease, diabetes and cancer leading to even larger medical and social bills for the country. In my view, banning junk food adverts isn't going nearly far enough. We need tougher measures like extending sugar taxes to junk food and subsidising fresh fruit and vegetables. With these and much better public education - we have the opportunity to have a real impact on health in the UK.”

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
And while I'm on the subject, I heard a dietician on the radio yesterday saying that while a higher percentage of Covid with comorbidites tends to start from around BMI of 25, the increase in comorbidities in Asian populations starts from around a BMI of 23. I'm sorry but I don't remember which Radio 4 programme it was. I often leave the radio on for long periods.

Reactions: mjr

matticus

Über Member
Lead Researcher, Tim Spector:
If we don’t act now, this will create even more heart disease, diabetes and cancer leading to even larger medical and social bills for the country. In my view, banning junk food adverts isn't going nearly far enough. We need tougher measures like extending sugar taxes to junk food and subsidising fresh fruit and vegetables. With these and much better public education - we have the opportunity to have a real impact on health in the UK.”
that's the first time I've heard a public figure say this - it seems a no-brainer. What's to lose??

The Crofted Crest

Über Member
Rees-Moggsplaining:

View: https://twitter.com/zatzi/status/1287701202763943943

Part of Jack Monroe's response:

if your response to people in crisis is to simply lecture paternalistically about how you would be better at being poor than they would, I suggest you put your money where your flapping great mouth is, and give it all away. To women refuges, child support services, food banks, and every other organisation trying to patch up the screaming great holes in the social security safety nets that millions of children are falling through. You may well know the price of potatoes, but in order to tackle food poverty on a real level, not just a pontification for a jolly brouhaha on the internet, you need to understand the value of compassion as well.

OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rees-Moggsplaining:

View: https://twitter.com/zatzi/status/1287701202763943943

Part of Jack Monroe's response:

if your response to people in crisis is to simply lecture paternalistically about how you would be better at being poor than they would, I suggest you put your money where your flapping great mouth is, and give it all away. To women refuges, child support services, food banks, and every other organisation trying to patch up the screaming great holes in the social security safety nets that millions of children are falling through. You may well know the price of potatoes, but in order to tackle food poverty on a real level, not just a pontification for a jolly brouhaha on the internet, you need to understand the value of compassion as well.
Keep-up Smoggy I made that point earlier.
Now knowing that, effing do something to make change happen you useless top-hatful of pi55...

Last edited:

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
this campaign looks like it's all mouth no trousers.
All promise but no delivery? Who could have predicted that?

Top Bottom