So much for waterproof overshoes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
OK, so I'm mildly disappointed to discover that my Planet-X neoprene overshoes aren't actually waterproof, but merely "water-resistant". I set off this morning thinking I was prepared for my wet, wild and windy commute... my feet were toasty for the first half-hour, but I could sense dampness for the rest of the journey (although my feet were still warm). However, my new Shimano (MT42) shoes are completely soaked and currently drying out, but not very quickly :sad: Same story with the socks too.

SO.... am I right to presume that all neoprene overshoes are going to perform roughly the same, or is there a better alternative? I naively thought that overshoes would keep my shoes (and therefore my socks and feet) completely dry, even in today's conditions (torrential rain, 20mph winds with 40mph+ gusts).

Also, given that the MT42 shoes are synthetic uppers, can I spray/treat them with a waterproofing agent of some description?

Recommendations and opinions very much appreciated :blush:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
mud flap on front mudguard can help :thumbsup:

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Finally used my new Endura overshoes last night. 27 kms of hills and lashing rain. When I got home the top of my socks were wet from where the rain ran down my legs. But the shoes were dry. I'm a happy camper.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
In really torrential rain I resort to the Tesco shopping bag over the shoes under the overshoes.

On short rides such as my commute I just use the tesco bags if only for the amusement value of my colleagues taking the mick.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Overshoes do have that design flaw of a hole in the top for your leg to go through. I've got some new overshoes that velcro at the back that I was hoping to try today but I'm off the bike for 24 hours (tooth out) so can't comment if this will work better than zips yet.

With mudguards, I found the front mudguard made things worse feet wise. It takes the water from the wheel and throws it out forwards and sideways, drenching my feet as they pass on the pedal stroke. If I don't use the front mudguard the water sprays outwards from the frame resulting in slightly drier feet.

Again not perfect (they have a similar flaw) but I like to wear water proof socks (sealskinz) on really wet days or even both (socks and overshoes) on cold wet days and at least my feet stay toasty.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Finally used my new Endura overshoes last night. 27 kms of hills and lashing rain. When I got home the top of my socks were wet from where the rain ran down my legs. But the shoes were dry. I'm a happy camper.
Interesting... which Endura overshoes did you buy?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
In really torrential rain I resort to the Tesco shopping bag over the shoes under the overshoes.

On short rides such as my commute I just use the tesco bags if only for the amusement value of my colleagues taking the mick.
I think today's conditions qualify as torrential, if not "biblical" LOL, and my commute isn't exactly short (14.2 miles each way).

I was hoping the overshoes would be a more elegant, effective solution, but have to say I'm seriously thinking about going for carrier bags over-shoes, under-over-shoes (Airplane anyone? :biggrin: ) for my return commute, if the shoes are even dry by then :sad:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Overshoes do have that design flaw of a hole in the top for your leg to go through. I've got some new overshoes that velcro at the back that I was hoping to try today but I'm off the bike for 24 hours (tooth out) so can't comment if this will work better than zips yet.
Our dentist's OK, but I'm still not a fan..... My new overshoes have velcro at the back, but the fancy neoprene stuff they're made from isn't waterproof, only water resistant.

With mudguards, I found the front mudguard made things worse feet wise. It takes the water from the wheel and throws it out forwards and sideways, drenching my feet as they pass on the pedal stroke. If I don't use the front mudguard the water sprays outwards from the frame resulting in slightly drier feet.
Mmm. Maybe numbnuts suggestion of a front guard with integrated mud-flap isn't such a bad idea after all? :whistle:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Our dentist's OK, but I'm still not a fan..... My new overshoes have velcro at the back, but the fancy neoprene stuff they're made from isn't waterproof, only water resistant.

My overshoes are advertised as waterproof (link). My old ones were definitely waterproof apart from the bottom and the leg hole (link)

Also have the Endura overshoes, not as thick as neoprene but completely waterproof, I've had them for 2 years now, no complaints. I've always felt there was a gap in the market here, for years no one made a good fitting waterproof overshoe, but this one does the job, I find it's even warm enough for all but the very coldest of winter days.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rtnerID=2324&gclid=CPKpmZi0iKsCFYELfAodHyhl2g - its the Luminite model, hope that helps.

Top Bottom