So pleased I didn't sell the Dawes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Last summer I got a Speialized Myka, more money than I'd ever spent on a bike, originally planned to keep my Dawes Sonoran and use Myka just for moutain biking.

However, plan changed and I decided to use Myka as my main bike and advertised Dawes for sale. As I maily used bike for work where we have secure lock up I was happy with this.

Then just before christmas someone crashed into me, my car has been written off and I don't intend to replace it at the moment. This means means I'll be making some journey by bike that I would have done by car previously, and leaving my bike fastened up in unsecure public places more often.

Today I've pumped up the Dawes tyres, put an old pannier bag on, put a basket on it and pottered off on a couple of errands .
It felt good to be using the bike this way again and I felt more comfortable leaving the Dawes locked up in the city centre than I would have the Myka.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Do you know every time I lock my bike up I have to take off the lights, remove evrything from my frame bag such as keys, phone, take off both my pannier bags, the bike pump, the water bottle and remove my roadside tools from the saddle bag. Then I have to lock both wheels and the frame to an immovable object and put a carrier bag over the saddle so no-one is tempted to steal it.
Every time I do this, which is almost every day, I can be heard muttering to myself how disgusted I am to live in a country which is in such a state that I can't even stand my bike somewhere or leave the lights etc on it without some evil, useless, f***** c*** coming along and stealing it.
And I do not think I am alone in this.

edit: or erm have a gone slightly off topic with this?

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Do you know every time I lock my bike up I have to take off the lights, remove evrything from my frame bag such as keys, phone, take off both my pannier bags, the bike pump, the water bottle and remove my roadside t haools from the saddle bag. Then I have to lock both wheels and the frame to an immovable object and put a carrier bag over the saddle so no-one is tempted to steal it.
Every time I do this, which is almost every day, I can be heard muttering to myself how disgusted I am to live in a country which is in such a state that I can't even stand my bike somewhere or leave the lights etc on it without some evil, useless, f***** c*** coming along and stealing it.

Agree whole heartedly. I've noticed a lot of people on these boards have a "nice bike" and a "hack " they wont cry over if its stolen. Big shame.

Christopher

Über Member
Good one Sara! I have a 1983 Dawes Windsor as my commute/hack. It isn't stylish but goes well enough and is as tough as old boots, even though it's plain-gauge steel - thought it would have rusted away by now but it is fine. Might treat it to a major service come Spring!

I am with you. Such a shame. Zero tolerance goes a long way to claim back this country.

Unfortunately the crim has to work real hard, show such a serious disregard and rack up a few other illegals activites with warnings given before he sees a day in jail. He come out, becomes a reformed chap, does community work with his ex-associates, gets invited to a panel on TV to give his views and his wisdown and a few years laters gets an OBE.

Do you know every time I lock my bike up I have to take off the lights, remove evrything from my frame bag such as keys, phone, take off both my pannier bags, the bike pump, the water bottle and remove my roadside tools from the saddle bag. Then I have to lock both wheels and the frame to an immovable object and put a carrier bag over the saddle so no-one is tempted to steal it.

Top Bottom