So we going to have election.

mudsticks

Über Member
I think a lot of older people equate Corbyn with policies of the bad old pre-Thatcher days of appalling Nationalised industries, Unions running the show, Red Robbo, that Scouse bloke and the Morris Marina....
Nobody want's to return to the Morris Marina.
This is why I want to remain in EU ..
Just so I can hang onto my Funny Foreign Peugeot 306..

We had a beige Morris Marina when I was a kid.. Even went to Abroadland in it.

Got horribly carsick on that trip :blink: so yes on second thoughts, let's keep Corbyn out so so I don't have to go through that, ever again.. :rolleyes:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

Adam4868

Guru
I think a lot of older people equate Corbyn with policies of the bad old pre-Thatcher days of appalling Nationalised industries, Unions running the show, Red Robbo, that Scouse bloke and the Morris Marina....
Nobody want's to return to the Morris Marina.
Your probally partly right,but we need to move on from the scaremongering.Im all for nationalising and we need some workers rights/stronger unions.Degsys gone and as for the Morris marina,was allways more of a Austin allegro sort of guy.Vandan plas,velour interior !
Just got me thinking,remernising there I remember my old man in the 70s picking me up from school.Said to him wait round the corner dad,too uncool....what does he turn up in ? Right outside the gates in a cortina,shite brown colour with pictures of horses on the side.Never lived it down:laugh:

BoldonLad

Über Member
I still wonder if the Brexit vote coming after Austerity causing a lot of what you describe is an accident. If the government didn't make Austerity happen with the goal of making people angry so they could be manipulated to vote against the EU, then it's one heck of a lucky stroke for them that it worked out that way.
I think you credit them with more intelligence than they actually have. ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Egad! The Oracle spake not!

The end times are surely upon us!!
Sigh....I try to broaden the debate from the, frankly, trivial issues of whether Corbyn is anti-Semitic or not (clue: 99% of voters couldn't give a toss) and this is the level of response. So I'll ask again: Why do you think so many people continue to vote Conservative despite all the stuff about them being liars, the falsehoods etc etc? Maybe those reasons are the things people should be concentrating on if they don't want a Conservative government (which with each passing day appears more and more likely)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Out of idle curiosity, who's getting any political bumpf through the letterbox yet and who from?

My parents have had a 'personally addressed' (which annoyed the hell out of them) Tory one hammering the 'Get Brexit Done' line in their strong (Leave voting) Labour seat but nothing else. We've had two lots of Lib Dem stuff in our seat (Remain voting) but no other party yet.
My wife works in a care home with dementia patients, this arrived for 4 of the residents yesterday.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Sigh....I try to broaden the debate from the, frankly, trivial issues of whether Corbyn is anti-Semitic or not (clue: 99% of voters couldn't give a toss) and this is the level of response. So I'll ask again: Why do you think so many people continue to vote Conservative despite all the stuff about them being liars, the falsehoods etc etc? Maybe those reasons are the things people should be concentrating on if they don't want a Conservative government (which with each passing day appears more and more likely)
I've not seen polling that backs that up, do you have something you could share.
I think voting Tory comes down to a whole mulitude of reasons, plenty covered already. Anything but Corbyn, Johnson the personality, end Brexit, points based immigration, no desire to return to the 70's, Rees-Mogg the cheeky chappy, Trump, forelock tugging, predominantly right wing press, always have, parents did/do etc
However, ignoring all the facts when they're laid out, that's beyond my comprehension sorry.

Oh dear fellow of infinite zest, heaven forfend! I merely point out that when the term "anti-Semitism" is mentioned, you automatically thought "Corbyn". As indeed does the electorate .
I hadn't thought of that, but it probably is the goal: otherwise people would associate him with "Better workers rights" or "Improved schools for my kids". The Tories probably realise they've been discredited on those issues dues to Austerity and their general nastiness, so they're doing all they can to make the association of "Corbyn = Anti-Semitic". It's the dead cat on the table, except they're accusing someone else of killing the cat.

I'd hate you to think these issues were being ignored @nickyboy. I originally posted this answer upthread:

Because the UK in contrast to other countries, has an overwhelmingly right wing and centralised media, and the Tories are at the moment using standard populist methods: "All your problems are someone else's fault, (EU/immigrants/people we've told you to dislike et,c) and if you vote for us we'll deal with them, and everything will be better for you".

Said right wing media have been at this too, for many years, of course, but the Tories are now turning up the dial to 11.

Unfortunately, populism works well everywhere. I guess the clue is in the name.

Equally unfortunately, it is as empty this time as it was before, just recycled division and anger, as the people who vote for it will find out. Again.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Veteran
Another big part is people don’t like admitting they are wrong and often act emotionally and dig their heels in. An example of this was an interview of three men in a machine shop. One said he supported Labour for obvious reasons, another was honest enough to say he didn’t know and the third said he supported the conservatives as they were the party that allowed people to get on and better themselves.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Another big part is people don’t like admitting they are wrong and often act emotionally and dig their heels in. An example of this was an interview of three men in a machine shop. One said he supported Labour for obvious reasons, another was honest enough to say he didn’t know and the third said he supported the conservatives as they were the party that allowed people to get on and better themselves.
Which one was acting emotionally?

roubaixtuesday

Über Member
Sigh.

You're not broadening, you're JAQing.

Top Bottom