So, your at the lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

...and your behind a car to the left (waiting for the lights to change) and what does the driver go and do...

Wait for you to pass

:wacko:

And all the cars behind you - must be thinking: DAM YOU !

Don't you just hate it when that happens...

That happened to me tonight - and i thought 'what a class t$$t'

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
better than a left-hook though…

The driver possibly thought he/she was doing the 'right' thing by you and that you would even be grateful. Either that or they were just confused in the moment and ended up choosing to do exactly the wrong thing.

Either way, not nice. The unpredicatability of drivers' actions - sheesh! :wacko:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

No, cause at some point you've got to start off [Ifrom the lights][/I] and if you've a tete-a-tete sitation going' then some behind are going to get massively irritated...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bloody hell, some folk are never satisfied. Someone gives way to you, when they don't need to, and you moan. Why not just ride by, wave and carry on thinking "Woo hoo, a tiny advantage to me".

Maybe that driver had previously had a situation where a cyclist came bombing up the left just as he pulled away, spooking him, and he was making sure it didn't happen again.

So no, if that happened to me I wouldn't hate it. But it sounds like a pretty rare occurence anyway.

I always check the left mirror when moving off - loads of drivers don't. I've lost count of the times I would have collided with a student cyclist if I hadn't held up for a few moments as they wobble up and past.

It works both ways, but it is annoying for more advanced cyclists when drivers are hesitant.

My pet peeve is drivers who don't move fast enough - you clip in and move forward only to have to then tracksatnd or unclip as they faff about.:smile:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
The worst ones are those that overtake you and then start to indicate left... you ease off to allow them to cross so you don't get left-hooked (usually with much internal ranting about the point of the overtake)...and they stop and wait for you to undertake. Why? If you're going to wait for me, why not just hang back instead of overtaking.

I just don't get it.

cchapman

If the car is stopped and he can possibly turn left, why are you in the spot you are? Surely being in the middle or at the right of the lane is the sensible thing to do?
And why would you undertake a car indicating he is turning left? Maybe he's thinking you're turning left also?
It's hard to assert yourself when knowingly doing the wrong thing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maybe once we've all been cycling for a while, it's easy to forget what it's like to have no idea. We all know, for example, that it's a bind to have to stop and start, especially up hill, and it would be great if drivers knew this and gave way. But it simply won't occur to many of them. And a lot of the things we know are dangerous also won't occur to them. I'd rather they were over cautious than not at all....

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
cchapman said:
And why would you undertake a car indicating he is turning left? Maybe he's thinking you're turning left also?
It's hard to assert yourself when knowingly doing the wrong thing.
Presume you're answering my post... the point is that you are continuing straight on but the muppet overtakes before wanting to turn left, they then 'remember' you're there and stop. I am usually also stopping/slowing at this point to let them get themselves out of the way but they just stop completely and wait for you to carry on. Like I say - muppets.

I'm not in the wrong by simply cycling on my way, and I'm not trying to undertake them - I'd prefer it if they didn't overtake yards before wanting to turn, or if they do then just get the hell out of my way quickly... they do neither and simply stop, not knowing what to do. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Presume you're answering my post... the point is that you are continuing straight on but the muppet overtakes before wanting to turn left, they then 'remember' you're there and stop. I am usually also stopping/slowing at this point to let them get themselves out of the way but they just stop completely and wait for you to carry on. Like I say - muppets.

I'm not in the wrong by simply cycling on my way, and I'm not trying to undertake them - I'd prefer it if they didn't overtake yards before wanting to turn, or if they do then just get the hell out of my way quickly... they do neither and simply stop, not knowing what to do. :tongue:

Thats my kind of riding style...

Top Bottom