Socks - Warm and Dry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Was going to get some seal skins - but my mate says his feet are freezing in his. Any suggestions?

wore them last night on the wet and windy Friday night ride. I had overshoes on as well which are not waterproof.

My feet stayed dry and warm all night. Got home and the outer was damp but the inner was dry. 24 quid well spent

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 to Sealskinz socks
Wore them last night for the first time also.
Wet on outside, dry and warm inside. Money well spent

earth

I made a mistake with my Sealskinz when I dried them on a radiator. This knackers the waterproof layer and now one of them lets water in at the toe end. Before I did that they were great.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I made a mistake with my Sealskinz when I dried them on a radiator. This knackers the waterproof layer and now one of them lets water in at the toe end. Before I did that they were great.

Good tip... thanks. After last nights ride I just let them dry by hanging them up in the airing cupboard.

seal skins are great for keeping water out but if any goes down the top, they are also very good at keeping it IN.
best for keeping feet warm is overshoes, if raining, have tights/leg warmers over the tops of them so rain doesn't run in them.
if that's not enough put flat pedals on and wear walking boots. eliminate loss of heat though cleats, which isn't insignificant.

redjedi

Über Member
I wore seal skins for the first time last night. They did do a good job of keeping my feet dry but not warm. I'll wear overshoes as well next time.

edit: Not last night, friday night. I've lost a day somewhere :tongue:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
+1 to sealskinz for me as well.

I FNRttC in mine too and they worked really well. £25 for dry warm feet after 8 hours on (and off) a bicycle on a wet and cold October night - bargain!!

i reckon we need to get shares in Sealskins....at 25 quid a pop they did well out of us lot
biggrin.gif

Peter10

i reckon we need to get shares in Sealskins....at 25 quid a pop they did well out of us lot
biggrin.gif

It's a shame we don't all do a group buy of 30-50 pairs. Would get a good deal I think from a supplier. Did this on a guitar forum for strings which cost about £15 a set. A buy of 100 sets got them down to about £8 each.

jayonabike