Solid fuel "Hexamine Burners"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I am slowly getting bits and pieces together to try some overnight camping on the bike next Spring maybe leading up to The Lon Las Cymru if I get on OK.

I have looked at various lightweight mini gas stoves such as Colman etc but remembered that I still have a folding Hexamine burner from years ago in another life and a quick google tells me the fuel tablets are still available.

The whole of the British army uses these in the field.Totally safe and heated up a mess tin of food or water very quickly.Also you know exactly how much you have left unlike gas and it cant leak or spill like meths.

Im surprised its not more popular with cyclists mountaineers etc.Another benefit that probably wont really affect cycle tourists much is that in freezing conditions gas stoves dont allways work(just when you really needed it to work :-()After getting caught out by that I binned my bluet gas stove and went back to the tried and trusted Hexy burner.

Brock

I assume the availability of the fuel would be the main problem with that type of stove as far as cycle touring goes?

Chrisz

Über Member
Don't bother mate.

Yes, Pusser used to issue Hex cookers - and all the switched-on guys promptly ditched them and used gel stoves, blueys and trangias - why? Because the hex cookers give of toxic fumes, stink to high heaven (we once found a troop position during an exercise because we were down-wind whilst someone was cooking - nearly 2k away!!). They also leave a nasty tarry residue on the bottom of your mess-tins/whatever.

Given the choice there are loads of other compact cookers I'd chose over hex blocks!

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Chrisz said:
Don't bother mate.

Yes, Pusser used to issue Hex cookers - and all the switched-on guys promptly ditched them and used gel stoves, blueys and trangias - why? Because the hex cookers give of toxic fumes, stink to high heaven (we once found a troop position during an exercise because we were down-wind whilst someone was cooking - nearly 2k away!!). They also leave a nasty tarry residue on the bottom of your mess-tins/whatever.

Given the choice there are loads of other compact cookers I'd chose over hex blocks!

With no tactical considerations a bit of smell from the hexy wont be a problem ,I wouldnt use one inside a small tent though:-)For military use they had one or two big advantages, first one was it would work in temps that gas wouldnt flow ,usually about a day after your water bottle went solid :-)Also you got a replen of hexy from the QMs with your rations.You are right about them blacking the bottom of pans though but I think I could live with that. I certainly have fond memories of hot brews in some strange places thanks to hexy burners. Most of us brewed tea directly in an aluminium mug which had a bit of really unhygienic black tape on the rim so you didnt burn your lips .Am I just looking back with rose tinted glasses? Think I,ll give it a go before writing the idea off.

Chrisz

Über Member
Banjo said:
With no tactical considerations a bit of smell from the hexy wont be a problem ,I wouldnt use one inside a small tent though:-)For military use they had one or two big advantages, first one was it would work in temps that gas wouldnt flow ,usually about a day after your water bottle went solid :-)Also you got a replen of hexy from the QMs with your rations.You are right about them blacking the bottom of pans though but I think I could live with that. I certainly have fond memories of hot brews in some strange places thanks to hexy burners. Most of us brewed tea directly in an aluminium mug which had a bit of really unhygienic black tape on the rim so you didnt burn your lips .Am I just looking back with rose tinted glasses? Think I,ll give it a go before writing the idea off.

Aye, one thing though - if you made a wet the used pussers teabag was excellent for cleaning the crarp off the bottom of the messtin or mug afterwards ;)

Like I said though - I'd never go back to hex blocks - I'd much rather use the gel cookers if I wanted something small and compact. Another advantage of them is that you can put them out and re-use them later - not so easy/neat with hexys.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Hello Chris, I know you are right that there are better alternatives but Im trying to not spend a lot at this stage until I know cycle touring is really my thing.My son is lending me a tent and some other bits and bobs. I will buy my own stuff bit at a time as I go along. Thanks for the replies ,brought back some memories.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Haven't used 'hexy' tablets while cycle touring but on a couple of walking trips I have taken a pack of 12 tablets as an 'emergency' back-up cooking method in case of stove failure in the middle of nowhere. Usually while cycling I have a pannier full of food and can find something to eat that doesn't need cooking if I have any problem with the stove, but on walking trips when carrying everything on my back and with less access to shops, some back-up method of cooking (or boiling at least) is worth having. I have used them too, when I ran out of petrol once, and another time when an o-ring failed on my fuel pump.
You don't need the pot stand part really, just make something from stones or branches to support the pan and to shield from the wind.
They do make a mess of the pans though, but the smell is not a problem for me.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Sounds like the Gel cookers could be good.Probably end up with one of those.Pity anyone camping today You have to duck to avoid lowflying recycling boxes here at the moment :-)

gavintc

Guru
IME, Hexy blocks were only used during basic training. As soon as you were allowed it was onto more efficient cooking sources. I have not used or seen them in years.

Brains

Legendary Member
If you unable to find Hex block the fire lighters that come individually wrapped in silver foil make a pretty good substitute

Chrisz

Über Member
User76 said:
We were coming off of Baldy Beacons, in Belize, after an exercise once, they one tonner was surrounded by baying kids, and one of my mates gave a small child a hexy block and told him it was a sweet....he was bad man}:sad:

Not the first - or the last to feed the locals hex blocks :biggrin::biggrin: