Some advice on biking to school & using their bike shed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu9000

So no it is not a bit harsh...

Fair enough . best of luck with it

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Oh very dear, oh very very dear,

I have just received this years letter for the bike rack

"the child will wear a helmet on this journey....."

At the bottom of the document I have to sign to say

"I give my permission for my child to cycle to school and will be responsible for their safety on the journey to and from the school. I agree to abide by the condition of use of the bicycle scooter racks"

I have signed it but amended it slighty to add on this statement

", where those conditions are not considered not legal by the local authority as per attached letter"

and I have attached the letter the LA sent the head.

The Head is not currently there, she had a heart attack over the school hols and is recovering from an operation, so perhaps the deputy is more sensible.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Just realised I have no given those that wish to know the outcome, the schools cycle permit rules have now been amended to recommend helmet wearing not insist upon helmet wearing, by the Deputy Head who looked at the information in the Head Teachers extended abscence from the school this term, agreed they were overstepping the mark, had no right to dictate such a thing and apologised for the way it had been handled last term.

I also expressed my willingness to the Deputy Head to assist if they needed it with their less Toot Toot, more Tweet Tweet campaign.

Sara_H

Guru
Just realised I have no given those that wish to know the outcome, the schools cycle permit rules have now been amended to recommend helmet wearing not insist upon helmet wearing, by the Deputy Head who looked at the information in the Head Teachers extended abscence from the school this term, agreed they were overstepping the mark, had no right to dictate such a thing and apologised for the way it had been handled last term.

I also expressed my willingness to the Deputy Head to assist if they needed it with their less Toot Toot, more Tweet Tweet campaign.
Good outcome Puddles.

I waged a similar campaign against my son's school cos the termly newsletter always used to say that children were only allowed to cycle to school if they'd done bikeability (so only Y6 children) and if they wore helmets.

I wrote to the head teacher and governors pointing out the error of their ways. I received two very rude and ill informed replied whilst I was in hospital having my near death experience, so wasn't able respond as robustly as I might have done otherwise, but I did email them both back about a week after being discharged (I remember being almost too weak to type, but I blummin did!).

I never got an acknowledgment that they were wrong, or an apology for their very rude letters, but any mention of cycling, bikeability or helmets has been removed from the termly newsletter.

The Head retired last term and we now have a new Head, woe betide hime if he starts now I'm feeling stronger!

Whats the Toot Toot, Tweet Tweet campaign?

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Good outcome Puddles.

I waged a similar campaign against my son's school cos the termly newsletter always used to say that children were only allowed to cycle to school if they'd done bikeability (so only Y6 children) and if they wore helmets.

I wrote to the head teacher and governors pointing out the error of their ways. I received two very rude and ill informed replied whilst I was in hospital having my near death experience, so wasn't able respond as robustly as I might have done otherwise, but I did email them both back about a week after being discharged (I remember being almost too weak to type, but I blummin did!).

I never got an acknowledgment that they were wrong, or an apology for their very rude letters, but any mention of cycling, bikeability or helmets has been removed from the termly newsletter.

The Head retired last term and we now have a new Head, woe betide hime if he starts now I'm feeling stronger!

Whats the Toot Toot, Tweet Tweet campaign?

I think it might be a Hampshire thing it is basically saying less taking the car to school more going under your own steam

upload_2013-10-21_8-47-11.jpeg

Bit like Walk to School Week or Bike to School Week

I volunteered at a school where helmet use by cyclists was mandatory... even for adult volunteers.

It was (I thought) short-sighted and Draconian, but I complied with nothing more than a few raised eyebrows.

I see quite clearly the cause of disquiet in the OP and I think I would feel similarly. At my children's Primary School there were restrictions but I bypassed or ignored them and was never challenged. I rather imagine the governors imposed them and the Head and staff thought them silly. I'll never know.

The joke with the place where I volunteered is that the headteacher was groundshakingly large and clearly a stranger to sport and salad. There were only ever two other bicycles alongside mine in the racks, usually one or none.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'd be inclined to get into the PTA or (better yet) become a parent governor. You could also volunteer to do bike maintenance classes and elementary riding classes at the school. I never did, so I'm not expecting you to leap at that... it's just a thought. Certainly it is easier to influence school policy and behaviour as a governor than a simple parent.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'd be inclined to get into the PTA or (better yet) become a parent governor. You could also volunteer to do bike maintenance classes and elementary riding classes at the school. I never did, so I'm not expecting you to leap at that... it's just a thought. Certainly it is easier to influence school policy and behaviour as a governor than a simple parent.

We are fingers crossed about to have a really avid cyclist as a governor he is very enthusiastic so that is good!

PTA no thank you no no no bunch of vapid cliquey crispy mothers, who I swear spend 4 hours to get ready just to turn up to the school gate in full make up and heels (in their snorting 4x4)

Bike Maintenance class I could organise yes, but do, no... I have a nice bike man what does mine I am to my shame quite useless I can change a puncture, but I am having lessons on maintenance in 1/2 term with the nice bike man who is also doing the same with my son then I won't have to wander down the road to Dad to say "daaad" and point in a pointed manner at said bike look suitably useless and then he sorts it and no Dad will not teach me cos he is a chauvenistic wotsit and I have boobs. My bike is all hub thingies.

I am quite happy to sort stuff if they want it but would be no good at showing basically :blink:

We are fingers crossed about to have a really avid cyclist as a governor he is very enthusiastic so that is good!

PTA no thank you no no no bunch of vapid cliquey crispy mothers, who I swear spend 4 hours to get ready just to turn up to the school gate in full make up and heels (in their snorting 4x4)

Bike Maintenance class I could organise yes, but do, no... I have a nice bike man what does mine I am to my shame quite useless I can change a puncture, but I am having lessons on maintenance in 1/2 term with the nice bike man who is also doing the same with my son then I won't have to wander down the road to Dad to say "daaad" and point in a pointed manner at said bike look suitably useless and then he sorts it and no Dad will not teach me cos he is a chauvenistic wotsit and I have boobs. My bike is all hub thingies.

I am quite happy to sort stuff if they want it but would be no good at showing basically :blink:

Excellent news about the new governor. This will happen more and more and cycling becomes more accepted among the middle classes - who essentially provide school governors in all but very few cases.

Your description of PTAs is (sadly) very and depressingly accurate. I was a male PTA member and chair for some years and it can be simply depressing how it is often just a perceived indicator of social rank, when in theory it is nothing of the sort.

I was taught rudimentary bike maintenance by my mother (a wartime land girl who had very good mechanical skills). That was many years ago and I was very little. She was long gone before I had anything with gears.

Keep pushing junior's school, but keep doing so with grace and diplomacy. You will have supporters within and the door will eventually creak and open a little.

I imagine the current rules are based on a slightly paranoid misunderstanding of H&E legislation.

Top Bottom