Some newbie questions for fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
I may be guilty of overthinking this but on the ride in this morning I tried to analyse the bits where I stop pedalling:

1. Going downhill (sometimes0
2. Going uphill (sometimes when I need a couple of seconds breather)
3. Approaching a stop (always)
4. Cornering (always)
5. Unclipping from the pedal (always):

6. When farting

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
6. When farting
Nope I have actually mastered that one.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My first bike since university was a Condor Pista, bought about 10 years ago. My first riding experience was taking it back from the shop through central London. It was fine because I did not go fast and did not have clip-ins for a while.
I see other people with flip-flop wheels going single speed but never transitioning to fixed from free-wheel once they start a single speed set-up.

My advice is just take it easy but go straight to fixed. Do have front and back brakes (for emergency use) and put some flat pedals on until you get used to it. I switch between geared and fixed and often have momentary lapses going round a corner but I think you'll find that while the momentum you have is so powerful that your legs have no choice, your body is so heavy that you won't get evicted from your saddle unless you are really pegging it. So these lapses don't unnerve me.
Focus on riding at slower speeds to start, with accelerations and decelerations without using brakes and you will soon start feeling the bike takes you in smoother more defensive lines through traffic, around other cyclists and at junctions. It is good fun.

My experiences broadly similar - i too bought a Condor - so my first experience of a fixie for 25 years (ando then only 1 go) was new nike, never before ridden in london, clip in pedals. Nearly got hoofed off turning into the strand having forgotten to keep pedaling, but then fine all the way back to Ealing where my car was - until I got cocky trying to track stand at my last traffic lights before the car, which was a certainly hubris & Nemesis moment. Been fine on it (fixieness wise) for the last 4 years daily commuting in Bristol.

Go for fixie and clip ins from the start would be my advice. Though if you do forget it's very unerving

Not so easy when pedalling at the same time though
Old farts thread on here too?
You'll be fine Martin - Thom puts it well - although it would do well to take a look at Greg C's photograph 'that day'...when the millisecond of forgetfulness crept in...I did it once too, when a car pushed out in front of me, and I scarred a knee and ruined an expensive pair of biblongs trying to 'freewheel' for that moment. Granted, the state your body is in, you'll not do much damage - just don't wear any nice gear. ie: carry on as usual! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nope still not arrived :sad:

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Fixies are fantastic.I did my first sideways skid yesterday when the lights changed back and I was whacking it down southwards at London Bridge.Didn't actually mean to do it but I always felt in control.Applied all three brakes at the same time.Great control and almost stops on a sixpence.I think once you get the confidence up you will wonder what the fuss was all about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2669287, member: 1314"]How can you fart on your bike seat? Disgraceful. I never fart on mine.[/quote]
That's ok User. I fart on yours all the time, every cafe stop

Top Bottom