Soon be summer, eh?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Specialized Mick, 8 Feb 2019.

1. I did. But they are getting far more snow than we have had.

meta lon likes this.
  2. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Yes we'll soon be isolated in the UK:whistle:

raleighnut likes this.
  3. Drago

Drago Soiler of Y fronts

Agreed. The weather is dire. Let's have some proper winter weather, or don't bother at all.

Beebo and snorri like this.
  4. MrBeanz

MrBeanz Active Member

Just how hot does it get where you guys ride? Here in California, we ride in 100+ degrees. This was a 70 miler with a high of 105. At times the wife over heats and I get to pour water over her head! :heat:

Capture1.JPG 052017J.jpg 052017I.jpg 052017G.jpg

Paulus likes this.
  5. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Rarely above the low to mid 80s in London at least

Paulus and MrBeanz like this.
  6. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

we're having a mini heatwave here this morning, warmest its been for weeks 8°C (46°F) not sure what to wear but I won't be pouring water over my heed first.
    Its the 50+ mph winds that are going to pose the problem, my first 15 miles is going to be torture

7. Slick

Slick Veteran

Far too hot for the average cyclist round here as well. We did have a particular hot summer last year when the temperatures went into the 90s and I felt like Beau Geste on a simple commute. The cold has never bothered me up to what I would describe as normal winter temperatures here upto maybe -10. Rain isn't pleasant but can focus the mind so that's never bothered me even for sustained efforts as I can deal with that. High temperatures however are a nightmare for me and just leave me lethargic as I just turn into a soggy mess.

Paulus, raleighnut and MrBeanz like this.
  8. Slick

Slick Veteran

We're not really getting the forecasted winds round here at the moment, It's fresh but nowhere near 50mph. I have other plans today but tomorrow looks even better for a ride round here without the torturous start. :thumbsup:

9. MrBeanz

MrBeanz Active Member

-10? Wow! I'll be the first to tell you that California cyclists are big babies, well most of them. I ride with temps at 112 according to my Garmin though it may read a little high at times. But I will ride in 50 degrees. Doesn't get much colder than that here unless I ride in the mountains at night at 35 degrees. But I'll tell you, I'm one of very few during these times. Too many cyclist hide when it hits 60 low or 90 high. Heck, I'll ride! :bicycle:

Paulus and Slick like this.
  10. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit Ribbit

really wild here during the night, there will be trees down. Its eased off a bit but there will be no shortage of fresh air this morning. Wife has other plans for this afternoon so I better just get on with it. :sad:

raleighnut and Slick like this.
  11. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

Fahrenheit?

Slick and MrBeanz like this.
  12. MrBeanz

MrBeanz Active Member

Yup, says so in the image above! :wahhey:

Wife ain't too happy when I get her up the mtn road, 8 mile climb with 2300 ft gain.

Nice and hot sweaty day about 100 degrees fahrenheit, but she did it. IMG_6779.JPG IMG_6777.JPG

Last edited: 9 Feb 2019
    postman and Diogenes like this.
  13. MrBeanz

MrBeanz Active Member

DSCN2743_zpsvsynqryu.jpg DSCN2748.JPG During the summer we ride to the beach. 100+ degrees. I like the heat as it's kind of fun when she wears something to even out her tan lines. Of course we're heading to the beach. 44 miles round trip.

14. Slick

Slick Veteran

Yeah sorry, I have mixed up my scales a bit. Minus 10 is centigrade which is 14 Fahrenheit but my high temperature in the 90s was Fahrenheit.

Despite Britain going metric before I was born, I still use a mixture of both systems. Not exactly sure why. :wacko:

MrBeanz likes this.
  15. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

There is a ride in France every four years, called Paris Brest Paris. It attracts around 6,000 riders (limit on places) from over 70 countries from round the world. During the day it can be in the 30's and at night around 5. You will find Northern Europeans ride img in shorts and short sleeve jerseys at night. Meanwhile those from the Far East and hotter climates are dressed head to toe, thick gloves, insulated jackets, and baraclavas. You adjust to the climate you regularly ride in.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2019
    raleighnut and MrBeanz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice