Sore Ass = New Saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Atyl1972

hey guys, after 40 miles my ass is absolutley sore as can be, even my bit n bobs are numb, is this enough to get a new saddle or do i have to punish myself more and wear the saddle i have already on my cube GTC race?

DTD

Veteran
If you don't wear padded shorts/liner etc. Try them – I'd say they're pretty essential for longer rides.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
It really depends if the saddle is new or used, like everything new, it need a little run in time to wear off the stiffness associated with new items. If it's an old saddle and worn in a little, you might want to consider doing some tweaking of the saddle position (forward/back/nose up/down) to see if that reduces the strain on your backside, if the results are the same after a few weeks then consider a different saddle to suit your needs.

I've changed the saddle that came with my Specialized Allez for that reason, I gave the original saddle a few weeks trial period, then switched it out for a charge spoon saddle (which I had on my other bike but sold it with the bike, my mistake) I felt the new saddle after about 20 miles, a little tweak there and then, a little better, I know it's down to the newness of the spoon saddle as my other spoon saddle I could do 80+ milers and not know I was sitting on it.

Remember small adjustments can make a big difference :thumbsup:

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Have responded on your other thread, but I agree, good shorts are definitely the first priority (even more so if distance comes into the equation).

I bought a Charge saddle for my second bike and have to say it is a real find. Very good quality and a bargain price, plus brilliant to ride on.

Some retailers offer a return scheme on saddles, which takes away the worry of spending on a saddle that leaves you in pain.

R_Z

Saddles can be a sore subject. Sometimes its as simple as an adjustment front or back. Sometimes it's just that you aren't sitting back enough on the saddle to firmly fit your sit bones. Sometimes, you just need a new saddle.

But after just a month, unless you've done hundreds of miles, your butt needs to toughen up.

Bicycle

If nothing else works, it might be worth lowering the front of the saddle by a few mm.

Top Bottom