Sore back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanWood

Guys,

I have only done two races so far, but the the overwhelming problem I have having is a sore back.

Since Feb I have been commuting 14 miles a day with no problems, but during the races soon after starting my back starts to get sore.

I use the same bike and just remove the rack and put on bigger tyres.

Are there any exercises I could do to strengthen my back?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

Ian

onlyhuman

Where is it sore?

OP
OP
I

IanWood

Lower back - the first race I did the pain/soreness went as soon as I got off the bike. There were two foot high barriers were you needed to carry the bike over - it was then I noticed how quickly the pain went.

jpembroke

If it's any consolation I often get lower back pain in races - usually at the start - but find it goes after a few laps. Cross is tough work on your body: constantly shifting position as you dismount, run, jump, remount, ride steep banks, descend, take tight turns. Plus the rigid nature of the bike which gives your body a real pounding. It's pretty relentless really. I think you'll find you'll get stronger and the back pain should decrease as you adjust to the sport.

onlyhuman

IanWood said:
Cheers -

Will try some sit ups maybe...

If you actually want to achieve something, you'll need to do a range of appropriate exercises over an extended period. My approach is to do the exercises while watching tv. I tell myself I am not allowed to watch sports programmes unless I am exercising at the same time.

lady_rider

Yoga yoga yoga... I had chronic lower back pain for two years. Lots of chiropractor money later, I took up yoga. After three weeks of easing into it gently, the pain was gone.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Cross hurts in places normal cycling can't get to. I'm just starting to understand that improving core strength helps. Many different approaches to that, do some Googling.

OP
OP
I

IanWood

Thanks for all the replies so far, glad to hear other people also have similar experiences. I expect as I get better it will resolve, but it was still surprising quite how sore it was.

Top Bottom