South Beds. has sleet......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

:biggrin:
it was raining.......its very dark....now there is sleet.....don't think it'll turn to snow....or settle at all....
Glad I got my ride in this AM. :angry:

stevenb said:
:biggrin:
it was raining.......its very dark....now there is sleet.....don't think it'll turn to snow....or settle at all....
Glad I got my ride in this AM. :angry:

Ditto steven ,just a bit further south then you in Royal Hertfordshire-Upon-Pikeysville:thumbsup:(Borehamwood) glad i got one in this morning although it was mighty breezy

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The weather changed quick. One minuet it was strong wind, rain and hail, then it was drying out. Then back to sleet and rain.

stevenb said:
After I posted this earlier the weather proved me wrong.....20 mins later it was sunny. Now its just windy.

Just windy on the North Wales coast this morning was pretty bloody windy. Interestingly enough, the blades on the off shore windfarms were rotating very slowly. Do they have a maximum speed?

Keith Oates

Janner
Patrick Stevens said:
Just windy on the North Wales coast this morning was pretty bloody windy. Interestingly enough, the blades on the off shore windfarms were rotating very slowly. Do they have a maximum speed?

Yes Patrick, they do have 'speed control' and if the wind gets too high the blades are rotated to completely stop them turning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

It's now snowing here...or at least trying to.....although not settling.

domtyler

Über Member
Keith Oates said:
Yes Patrick, they do have 'speed control' and if the wind gets too high the blades are rotated to completely stop them turning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the point in that? Surely they should be capitalising on the extra bursts of energy?

Maz

Guru
Patrick Stevens said:
Yes, they have a max speed. Especially if the wind turbines are 'exporting' to the national grid...I think the electrical frequency on UK grid is 50Hz which is what the output from the wind turbines needs to be.

Ironically, if there is a power cut, for safety, all wind turbines that affect that line need to be switched off, too...before this rule was enforced, if he was unlucky, the fella that came to fix the line got a nasty shock when he thought the cable was dead, not realising that the wind turbines were still 'pumping' leccy onto the grid.

Top Bottom