Southend - mecca of the east?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm off to spend a weekend in Southend tomorrow (or Leigh on Sea to be precise).

What's it like, I've heard it's a bit of a dump:ohmy:

It's got a long pier is the extent of my knowledge.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Brilliant Lee. I can't wait:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
All I know is Sheriff Fatman was the master butcher of Leigh on Sea.

No help at all really. Sorry.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's a nice place, with nice people. The walk along the sea from Leigh to Southend is pleasant. Adventure Island is a laugh, and the Sea Life centre is nice, although not cheap. There are some sweet Georgian terraces.

Southend does have one building of note. Quite possibly the only radio station built on top of a public toilet without interruption to those using the toilet. The architects use of tile-hung pre-rusted Corten steel is both inspired and unique. The flying yellow sheathing to the seaward side of the upper floor speaks of the passage of the sun, catching the reflection off the waves, while the turret window is not only a knowing but respectful reference to the wartime history of the Thames Estuary, but is also (it can confidently be asserted) the widest opening ever spanned by a ladder beam constructed in half inch thick steel.

The huge douglas fir posts are not simply a structural tour de force - they're a bold allusion to a mythical ship. And the delicately composed screen to the entrance is a remarkable testament to the architect's mastery of proportion, a wonder of composition, bringing the building a human scale that so many lack. All in all a work of genius, appealing joyfully to the senses and the intellect.

The Rose Cafe is good too - great interior.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'll see if I can derive as much pleasure as you did Dell.
In many cases I actually get more interest and enjoyment from the dull, bleak and mundane and surprising nuggets therein. It also makes for some good photographic opportunities too.

Saddle bum

Über Member
I shoot pheasant every Saturday ay Shoeburyness. The down side is that I am obliged to drive through Southend to get there.

bobg

Über Member
Well I like it but I was obliged to move away in 91 so it may have changed. Old Leigh with its cockle sheds and decent pub or two, the walk down the pier, the seafront at the Thorpe Bay end. Never really took to the amusements arcades or the shopping cenre but the Friday "grab a granny night" always generated some "interesting" sights on the beach after chucking out time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's a bit tacky 'n tired, like a lot of coastal towns, but I quite like Southend, in a limited way. Avoid the arcades on the front, but you can have a nice walk *along* the front - and the pier is great, for its sheer length if nothing else. You get a bracing breeze, you do. Some decent fish & chip caffs along the front too.

rich p said:
I'll see if I can derive as much pleasure as you did Dell.
In many cases I actually get more interest and enjoyment from the dull, bleak and mundane and surprising nuggets therein. It also makes for some good photographic opportunities too.

Go for the Rose Café rich. Mr Teasy-weasy(sorry forgotten his name) of the FNRttC will serve you. Great atmosphere when the bikes are 'in' and the return trips are sandblastingly formidable.
9r4sht.jpg

Upstairs held mysteries galore at the Rose Café...

The Pier is good for a walk - amazing engineering - and the little train back is a must! :evil:
There used to be a Woolworths in the town centre so it will be interesting to see what has become of it. 'Poundland' usually, although there is an outside chance of perusing a '99p' store.
Chris KH is your man if you are going by bike...he'll lead you onto the A12! :girl:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
Go for the Rose Café rich. Mr Teasy-weasy(sorry forgotten his name) of the FNRttC will serve you. Great atmosphere when the bikes are 'in' and the return trips are sandblastingly formidable.
9r4sht.jpg

Upstairs held mysteries galore at the Rose Café...

The Pier is good for a walk - amazing engineering - and the little train back is a must! :girl:
There used to be a Woolworths in the town centre so it will be interesting to see what has become of it. 'Poundland' usually, although there is an outside chance of perusing a '99p' store.
Chris KH is your man if you are going by bike...he'll lead you onto the A12! :stop:

When my son was working in my shopfitting business during the school holidays we had a customer setting up a tat business. William asked him if it was a Pound shop and the bloke looked a bit offended and said, 'it's a bit more upmarket than that'. Will said, 'what, a two Pound shop?'
How we laughed!:evil:

I used to be down there once a month with my son, hit the funfair, pay about £5 for a wristband and jam oneself into a metal concoction that would bruise you in 'all the old familiar places', followed by slimy F+C and sundry coloured sugary treats.
Great!
And the train chugging back into town via Dagenham etc...

Top Bottom