SPD (M520) vs SPD-SL (R540) spring tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhague

Hi folks,

I just tried clipping in and out of my new SPD-SL pedals (Shimano R540), and even with the tension set to minimum (the factory setting), they a *much* harder to disengage than my M520 SPDs. Is this normal?

Cheers,
Darren

Radius

SHREDDER
Are the cleats red or yellow?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
With new cleats in SL's it can be hard to clip out, just keep practising and always do it with the crank arm down and twist your ankle and leg at the same time.

i've only used SL's and can't comment on the difference between SPD and SPD-SL but i don't have an issue with clipping in and out of mine.

I just bought some of those from evanscycles, waiting on the delivery now - let me know how you get on with them. Im quite excited given all the hype i've heard about the difference felt when first going clipless!

dhague said:
Hi folks,

I just tried clipping in and out of my new SPD-SL pedals (Shimano R540), and even with the tension set to minimum (the factory setting), they a *much* harder to disengage than my M520 SPDs. Is this normal?

Cheers,
Darren

Hello

I have similar issues with my R540 and fell at least 3 times as I could not get out in time when I first put them on. No major damage except me looking stupid. :ohmy: I then went up and down a quiet road near my home to try and get the hang of it which helped.

I learnt over time that my clips worked better if I turned my heal inwards to the crank to clip out as to turn my heal out towards the street just wasent working. I too had my tension on the minimum. Whilst I know this is not the standard way of doing it, it works for me. My cleats are on the correct way also.

It took about 3 rides to get it down to an art.:biggrin:

Good luck and have a practice up against a wall or in quiet street you will get it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It is normal for them to be stiffer, or at least it is in my case. 3 bikes have SPDs & 2 have SPD-SLs & the latter are more stiff to clip / unclip.
Being single sided is the biggest problem I have though :ohmy:

OP
OP
dhague

dhague

Thanks, Soltydog & Mista - that puts my mind at rest a little. Presumably the SPD-SLs loosen up a bit with time?

Cheers,
Darren

Soltydog

Legendary Member
dhague said:
Thanks, Soltydog & Mista - that puts my mind at rest a little. Presumably the SPD-SLs loosen up a bit with time?

I don't know if they loosen up with use tbh 1 pair I've just fit to my cycle chat bike & only ridden twice, about 80 miles, so it's early days with those & even my other SLs don't get as much use as the SPDs, in fact I've only ridden that bike once this year & now the back wheel is in bits (must get it fixed before summer disappears ;))

Top Bottom