SPD pedals or flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

I am using spd for mountain biking, but finding them pretty tricky clipping in and out. Finding them pretty dangerous for the technical sections. I tend to leave one side unclipped.

What do u use and any advice on clip on?

I only use flats when on the mtb, like you say it can be very dangerous. If you need to bail on a technical section and you're clipped in you could end up in a world of pain.

I use Burgtec Penthouse flats with Five-Ten shoes, this combination is the next best thing to being clipped in.

Muddy Ground

Lots of comedy moments with clips for sure, but you'll get used to them and can unclip surprisingly fast when you do. Guess it all depends on the amount of technical riding you intend to do? Here in Surrey on our massive bridleway networks clips are fine, but if I was on rocks or a borrowed bike then flatties. You could always try the combined flatties with SPD's? Horses for courses really. What do the local riders use?

adscrim

Veteran
Stick with it, before long it will become second nature. I pretty sure I can get a clipped foot down just a quick as an unclipped foot.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Stick with it, before long it will become second nature. I pretty sure I can get a clipped foot down just a quick as an unclipped foot.

When I started MTB'ing as a teenager (late 80's) I started with flats as I didn't understand the need for clips and straps. After suffering a few cross bar incidents when having feet bounced off the pedals on fast rocky descents I soon resorted to clips and straps and eventually to SPD's which is a masive improvement. I also like technical stuff with lots of hopping and jumping up and down ledges etc and I don't find being clipped in restrictive, in fact I have been over the handle bars and all sorts of other shinanigans but have never found myself stuck to the bike. If you need a foot down quickly it just happens, it soon becomes second nature.

spence

Über Member
Yep persevere, the benefits far outway the cons (if there are any) in my opinion. Doesn’t feel right not being clipped in.

Try backing off the tension screws for a while then wind them up again as you gain more confidence.

monkeypony

I tend to use flats only on up-lift days (along with full face and body armor) for everything else, clipped in is the way to go, especially on long technical climbs, makes life so much more pleasant.

ChristinaJL

I've just started mountain biking and am having this dilemma too. :biggrin: I've used road spds for over 3 years now, but am a bit reluctant to go spds on the mountain bike till I get used to the technical sections!! :rolleyes: So, till I've been on my course in a few weeks or until I get a bit more confident, I bought a cheap pair of studded platform pedals from wiggle, the DMR V8 pedals and they seem good so far. I'm also thinking on getting some of the five ten shoes for a bit more grip in wet conditions.

I will ask the instructors when I go on my core mtb skills course for recommendations of spds easy to clip out of (for some reason I have a problem clipping out of shimanos - I must be a too feeble girlie!!) as I do intend to go clipless at some point.

mr Mag00

rising member
as said above its all about technique, back the tension off, stick with it. i too have crashed, not often :biggrin:, and have never stayed in contact with the bike the forces involved soon detach feet from pedals.

monkeypony

lazy? when you get more contact and the ability to pull on the pedal making more use of the stroke, weird?!?!?!?!?

Lazy in terms of not having to have your body positionned correctly to keep contact with the pedals over the bouncy stuff and it being a doddle to hop up and pull the bike around in the air with clips.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Lazy in terms of not having to have your body positionned correctly to keep contact with the pedals over the bouncy stuff and it being a doddle to hop up and pull the bike around in the air with clips.
Which( unless you are either Danny Mac or spent your entire childhood learning tricks) is entirely the point as far as I'm concerned. They give that advantage to those of us who would love to be able to do it on flats, but can't. Oh, and how often have you been able to put in a half pedal stroke on a tech climb, or rutted section, where your feet would have been knocked off the pedals by a rock strike?

For the really techy downhill stuff I like my Shimano M545s. http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+...dals_717.htm?gclid=CNrm8p72wKcCFQRP4Qodux29AA Not the best of both worlds, but you can still get in a pedal stroke when you bounce out of them, or unclip at the top of some rock garden monster. On smoother XC stuff I love the faster action lighter eggbeaters.

Top Bottom