SPD Sandals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Hi Gnag, Summers here & my footsies are baking in my shoes, I can wear my Crocs when out on the MummyBike as we only toodle, but they no good for my other bike
I'm sure I saw a post somewhere about SPD sandals, i've Googled & found these Keen Sandals
Just wondered if anyone had used them, what the sizing was like & if you attach cleats are recessed enough so still usable for walking round town without the click click slippy issues I get in my road shoes?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use Shimano ones very good for walking in too

OP
OP
funnymummy

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I looked at those Numbnuts, but the ones I found have open toes - After years of martial arts I have broken all of my toes, 3 of which are now slightly odd looking, the one next to my big toe had to be pinned & is now slightly longer, If I catch it, it is very painful, so sadly open toe shoes are not an option.

400bhp

Guru
Looks like a good idea.

The only reservation I would have is are the sides of the shoe stiff enough to allow a twish of the foot to disengage from the pedal.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Looks like a good idea.

The only reservation I would have is are the sides of the shoe stiff enough to allow a twish of the foot to disengage from the pedal.
the sandal are as stiff as a shoe and you don't have to have them straped too tight either to disengage, I've been using them for over 7 years now without any trouble

jay clock

Massive member
I have these http://www.sjscycles.com/store/shimanosandalsbig.jpg which are no longer made. I used them with nothing else at all on a couple of one week warm weather tours and they are 100% fine. A big plus is that in rain they dry out massively quicker than shoes ever will. I would not choose to walk miles in them but a mile or two is fine.

In terms of extra shoes on tour I will be going for crocs as these are multipurpose, and above all LIGHT. flip flops are often in fact quite heavy....

I've got some Exustar ones which are quite good and closed toes as asked for. Compared to shimano mtb shoes area above toes a little lower (as no toecap as such) so not as roomyup/down and I find them a little harder to disengage as they are a looser fit so have to twist foot in the sandal a tad before it starts to twist out of the spd. Mind, Shimano shoes are very narrow in comparison and I prefer something a bit wider.

suecsi

Those Keen ones look nice - I tried cycling in my Clarks sports sandals but the soles are too flexible, so a good job its only a few miles on a Brommie.

OP
OP
funnymummy

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
:biggrin:

Stick on one?

I'm no help ... I just go to flip flops and normal sandals .... my main problem is the lines I end up with on my feet.
By about May I normaly have little brown circles all across the top of my feet - My son calls them my Croc Spots!!

Remind me to watch what I say to you will you :ohmy: ............. your not Steven Seagal are you :biggrin:

No, but my dad's name is Chuck!

Top Bottom