Spd sl cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies, it gives me a lot to think about , I put my spd pedals on the TCR last night off my other bike so I could ride this morning, they felt good apart from my heel catching the çhain stay near the rear drailier which didn't happen on my other bike,still going to visit the LBS and look at shoes as the ones I have now are shimano mtb shoes in a larger size than I need but still tight on one foot,

Just got to sort the numb fingers on both hands now when reaching an hour in the saddle

T4tomo

Guru
Or A520s are a cheaper version, much much more suited to a road bike than M520s and SPD system.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If your heel is contacting the chainstay there are a couple of solutions, either loosen the bolts and twist the cleats a couple of degrees so as to move your heels out or find out if SPDs come with a longer spindle. I bet they do as SPD-SLs do. Alternatively buy extenders on EBay. Issi pedals have longer spindles too.

SPD (mountain bike type) work fine for people with small feet. If you have bigger feet, then SL might be better for you. The 105 carbon pedals take some beating for weight and performance given the price. The basic SPD metal pedals are very heavy and pretty horrible. Mrs A likes the mountain bike type and the titanium ones are Ok for weight but very costly. (But they do come in a wooden box - how useful!)

T4tomo

Guru
Just looked A520s up and I may give them a go to see if the extra support helps my foot pain.

Although, as @vickster points out they are single sided, which may be a different kind of pain. Still I used to manage with toe clips ok.
They are weighted so they hang the right way to clip in. And way easier than toe clips

vickster

Legendary Member
They are weighted so they hang the right way to clip in. And way easier than toe clips
My A600 never were

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My A600 never were
I will go with that , single sided are great for long rides where you dont stop too much but for commuting i have goneback to double sided after shinning myself trying to pull away quickly and missing the click taking a good scrape off my shin ,
Running M530s on the commuter atm so i stlll have a good platform but double sided .Weight is not an issue when you have rack.,panniers, mudgaurds, lights etc :smile:
shimano_pdm530.jpg

si_c

Guru
I will go with that , single sided are great for long rides where you dont stop too much but for commuting i have goneback to double sided after shinning myself trying to pull away quickly and missing the click taking a good scrape off my shin ,
Running M530s on the commuter atm so i stlll have a good platform but double sided .Weight is not an issue when you have rack.,panniers, mudgaurds, lights etc :smile:
View attachment 423090

They were the first SPDs that I used, the large platform was great.

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
I ordered some Northwave Phantom 2 srs road shoes today ,tried some on and theyfelt like carpet slippers compared to My shimano mtb spd shoes , will update once I have tried them with the spd sl clips and pedals
Cheers

Johnno260

Veteran
I switched from SPD to SPD-SL no issue, I found the pedal platform on the SL was so much better for climbs out the saddle.

I was lucky and found some Shimano R171 shoes going crazy cheap as they were ex-demo so the sole is nice and stiff as well.

OP
OP
Freelanderuk

Freelanderuk

Über Member
I wore my northwave shoes this morning with new cleats and what a pleasure.

The shoes felt like I had my slippers on , found it difficult to clip in the first time ,right foot ok whilst stationery but left foot whilst moving I was weaving all over the place, once clipped in and moving all was great only problem was when I stopped after my 10 mile test run it was very hard to unclip.

The previous owner of the bike had the tension on the peddles turned right up which I have now reduced.

I used the Steve Hogg method of attaching my clips and all seams good with them, now to try for a longer distance

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/01/why-bikefitters-shouldnt-chew-their-nails/

Top Bottom