SPD spring tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have recently gone clipless with some Shimano M520's.
I have found them brilliant and only had one moment so far.
When I first got them the consensus of opinion was to set the spring tension to the minimum until you get used to them. But after severel weeks I still have the tension set to minimum and are having no issues.
So my question is what is the advantage to having a higher spring tension?

Do not know - but I find the tension straight out of the box is right for me - however as they get older and I assume the cleat and the pedal get worn I get an occasional accidental release - to which I respond by increasing the spring tension by a quarter of a turn until it stops

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
HLaB said:
Your less likely to unclip by mistake which can be awkward but the important thing is to set them at a level your comfortable with. If your having no problems don't change it.

+1.

potsy

Rambler
I still have mine at very nearly minimum resistance and they have been fine even after 2000+ miles,would only increase them now if you start to clip out when you don't mean to.
They are great though,1st thing I changed on my new bike was the pedals to the M520's bargain for the money.

02GF74

Über Member
I always put the tension to minimum and leave it there.

Very very rarely I have pulled a foot out that was attributed to low spring tension.

Top Bottom