SPDs + Singletrack: Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjw_78

I've just put SPDs on my MTB, and after a few rides am now happy that I'm not going to fall off. Did a nice 15 mile training ride in Swinley Forest last w/e, and was very happy. Except when I did a short section of single track, and suddenly felt rather anxious...

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interesting! I have SPDs on my road bike and am happy with them. I have just purchased a new MTB and it has SPDs as standard........not used it yet as I am unsure weather to change pedals.
I've never had or done any MTBing so look forward to more response.
NB at my age I no longer bounce if I fall off:B)

Doseone

Guru
Been using them on road for ages but only put them on the mtb a year or so ago. Jury is still out, on most stuff they are fine and i like the connected feeling. However, I still struggle a bit especially on steep very rocky uphill sections eg where you are almost at a standstill and have to put in a big push to get over a large rock and don't know if you're going to make it or not!!

spence

Über Member
Wouldn't be anything else but clipped in. Just don't think about it, concentrate on going faster through the trees.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Interesting discussion... Some of you will not doubt have read that I'm now the proud owner of a Cube Attention (owned previously by fellow CC'ers theloafer and cubist) and I've been swithering about fitting SPD's to it. I'm a complete convert to the clipless way having fitted them to my commuter (Flight), but I do have reservations about sticking them on the MTB...

Apart from having some boulder-bashing fun out on my own, the other role for the Cube is as "daddy's bike" – i.e. riding with my eldest daughter who's turning 11 (and getting new bike for her birthday on the 14th.. sshh!!), and also with my youngest (4 1/2 yrs old) in tow on a tag-a-long.

Now, I've not fallen yet (touch wood), but I really don't want my first clipless moment to be when I'm towing a precious cargo. I wonder if anybody uses (or has specifically avoided) SPDs in such circumstances? I do prefer the feeling of "connection" being clipped in, and I'm leaning (no pun intended) towards another set of Shimano M520's with the platform adaptors for when I'm in "Dad" mode. I guess the M324's would be an option too.

Any thoughts?

I feel better knowing that my feet are not going to come off the pedals when I don't want them to. Having said that - I have the release tensions set to minimum so that I unclip in a hurry if I need to!

Ditto!

I'll ride red routes clipped in (not black, not that skilful!) and wouldn't do it any other way. I find it much more reassuring having my feet attached rather than bouncing off the pedals.

rollinstok

I feel better knowing that my feet are not going to come off the pedals when I don't want them to. Having said that - I have the release tensions set to minimum so that I unclip in a hurry if I need to!

Ditto again..exactly what I used to do. I,m not doing the rough stuff these days but still use single sided spd,s for when I get a clear run or a hill.. I need the platform one side because of all the daytrippers and dogs clogging up my beautiful prom cycle path..its stop start all the way sometimes...wish they,d all go to Blackpool instead.

Here is an article I read about a year ago which finally convinced me to ditch SPD's on the mtn bike. Well I didn't ditch, I've flats/spd's but I don't wear SPD shoes anymore.

page1 pedals.JPG page2 pedals.JPG

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I will confess to a little buttock tightening when riding clipped in on some rooty singletrack going across the side of a mountain (sheer drop on the left hand side) in the Alps a couple of years ago such that I unclipped for large sections of it. But that is the joy of the DX series clip and platform SPD.

And in my younger days, staying clipped kept the bike with me and saved me a few undignified scrambles down a mountain side to retrieve it post-off. I tend to have the tension on my chocolate foot a bit higher btw. Asymmetry is a terrible thing.

Top Bottom