Specialized Toupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
How much do I love my Specialized Toupe?

Well, I don't think my bottom has felt so good since... well, no, I can't say that on a family forum.

It's probably enough to say that it is so good you completely forget it's there. My old Fizik Pave CP was okay but you certainly couldn't ignore it, my San Marco saddle (with flexible wings) really only cut it over short to middling distances, but the Toupe is perfect. It comes in a variety of widths and if you buy one new from a Specialized dealer, you can get them fitted. I've got the ultra-light version with titanium rails. Since I got mine of someone who had been bought it as a present and didn't want it, I got it dead cheap, but even at its full price, it would have been well worth it.

My favourite saddle ever, no competition.

Leadlegs

How much do I hate my Specialized Toupe?

Words cannot describe the agony I felt sitting on this saddle. Sorry, but it had to go! :laugh:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Leadlegs said:
How much do I hate my Specialized Toupe?

Words cannot describe the agony I felt sitting on this saddle. Sorry, but it had to go! :laugh:

Did you get measured properly? And how used were to you racing saddles before?

kyuss

Veteran
I love mine too. In over 20 years of regular cycling I've never been as comfortable. If I could afford it there would be one on all my bikes.

yenrod

>Specialized Toupe

Its in the design: theyve shaped the saddle so that where the 'points' of the backside: 'the sit bones' are positioned, high - relative to the rest of the saddle add in the groove in the middle and you've a totallly ergonomic saddle shape THEN: add in different widths and you've a world beater saddle !

specialized_toupeblack_.jpg

Its how a saddle should have been designed.

I like the idea of trying one as Specialized have really done the homework on this !

Or you could always try a SelleSMP
_DSC2027.jpg

Though they cost a bit of stupid money.

Leadlegs

Flying_Monkey said:
Did you get measured properly? And how used were to you racing saddles before?

I've sat on racing saddles for years, measured my sit bones and the Toupe, (despite being the right size according to Specialized) just wasn't right for me.

That's the thing about saddles, they are a very personal item. Find the right one for you and you're in heaven, sit on the wrong one and it feels as if the flames of hell are licking at your rear.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Leadlegs said:
I've sat on racing saddles for years, measured my sit bones and the Toupe, (despite being the right size according to Specialized) just wasn't right for me.

That's the thing about saddles, they are a very personal item. Find the right one for you and you're in heaven, sit on the wrong one and it feels as if the flames of hell are licking at your rear.

Quite true - I was just asking to see if you'd just gone for the wrong thing entirely...

Shaun

Founder
Considering how "thin" it looks I was surprised how comfy it is. Have one on my Roubaix and can't fault it :ohmy:

yello

I have the avatar gel on my distance bike. I had a san marco rolls and that was okay until I did a 200 audax out in the Fens... I got the avatar soon afterwards! I've had no real discomfort since.

But, imo, I don't think there is a perfect saddle - all backsides will get a little numb/sore after several hours. I reckon you have to get out of the saddle periodically too just to let the blood... or whatever.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Flying_Monkey said:
How much do I love my Specialized Toupe?

Well, I don't think my bottom has felt so good since... well, no, I can't say that on a family forum.

It's probably enough to say that it is so good you completely forget it's there. My old Fizik Pave CP was okay but you certainly couldn't ignore it, my San Marco saddle (with flexible wings) really only cut it over short to middling distances, but the Toupe is perfect. It comes in a variety of widths and if you buy one new from a Specialized dealer, you can get them fitted. I've got the ultra-light version with titanium rails. Since I got mine of someone who had been bought it as a present and didn't want it, I got it dead cheap, but even at its full price, it would have been well worth it.

My favourite saddle ever, no competition.

With you 100 percent. I have tried a few including a brooks B17 torture device and the toupe I have found is an absolute joy to sit on. :smile:

DaveP

+1 for the Toupe

Got on it first of all and found that I had to play around with my position a bit, but once found bingo….quite comfy so far..

Joe

Über Member
I had the 143 but it was too wide, I would definitely like to try the 130 if a cheap white one comes along. Gel or no?
It's weird how they are so loved and yet there are none in the pro peloton (that I've seen):smile:

DaveP

Joe,

Don’t know if you have done it, but you sit on what is basically an ar*eometer and the measurements of your sit bones translate to a size.

Got mine measured in Evans Cycles…..

Top Bottom