Speed Awareness Course "Participants"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham O

Next door to where I work, they hold Speed Awareness Courses for all the speeding drivers caught in this part of North Wales. This means that a lot of "bad" drivers come onto the site and they are terrifying! On the morning commute, they are easily identified. Either they are doing 20mph and really cautious or they are speeding to get to the course.

This morning, a camper van was reving his engine behind me for a couple of hundred yards trying to get past me, despite me doing 30 in a 30 zone. At the bottom of the hill are traffic light with an advanced stop line. I was just entering these when the lights turned to amber and the camper van shot forward and came within a foot of me, while he was swearing and gesticulating. Numpty! And then he turned into the Speed Awareness Course.

It's not often we can get our revenge, but I've just the pleasure of leaving a note on his van pointing out his bad driving. I don't know if it'll do any good, but it has certainly made me feel better. :biggrin:

You could really wind any bad drivers in that area up but just saying to them..' so your going on the speed awareness course then...'

9 times out of 10 you'd probably be right! :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There's no chance you know the lecturer and could give a short talk on cyclists and how to deal with them? You could even point out that one of the course participants did x.

OP
OP
G

Graham O

BentMikey said:
There's no chance you know the lecturer and could give a short talk on cyclists and how to deal with them? You could even point out that one of the course participants did x.

An excellent point! I know the course organiser very well and will have a word with him. The course has to be nationally approved, so a change of syllabus may be difficult, but if it starts the ball rolling, then it will be worthwhile.

With regards "one of the course participants did x", on a weekly basis, I see them doing not just x, but all the way from a to z. However, it is only when they come one particular way to the course. The other direction has a locally famous speed camera and driving is much better that way. I think I need to change my commute to come that direction in future.

OP
OP
G

Graham O

Spoke to the course organiser and apparently, there is nothing specifically about negotiating cyclists in the Speed Awareness Course. There is mention of horses, but nothing about cyclists.

Perry said:
Would have been great if you had it on camera and played it back to him in front of the class/instructor.

Actually Perry, that would be a brilliant idea. Get a camera Graham and the next time one of the course attendees does something naughty, pass it on to the course organiser to show them at the lunch break! :smile:

OP
OP
G

Graham O

Lunch break? You must be joking. 3 hours, 60 quid and that's it. Okay, some of them are just guilty of a moments lack of attention, which all of us are capable of. However, it is the really stupid ones which get me going and frighten me. And the old ones. Just had one of them asking for directions. Very elderly, probably late 70's and needs 2 sticks to walk with. Sorry old fella, but should you really be driving?

I used to work for an organisatin, part of which did assessments for blidn registration.

We occasionally got people registered blind driving in.

I also assessed someone for DLA once. The bloke had something like 30% loss of vision in the same area of both eyes. He said that it wasn't a problem when he was driving as that was where the passenger-side dashboard was in his line of sight.

My wife knew a vicar who had a stroke. Sometimes when you have a stroke you get something called neglect. That is when you don't notice half of your world. For example, when asked to draw a circle they will draw either only the left or right hand side of the circle and think they have drawn all of the circle. They also don't notice anything happening on the neglected side of their vision. It is often temporary, but can persist in some people

He drove for a good couple of months after he got back from hospital. I believe he did prang a few cars before he was 'encouraged' to give up driving! :wacko:

spindrift

My sister works with Alzheimers sufferers and they are distraught when told they shouldn't drive, it's their last remaining independence sometimes, even though they are clearly unfit to drive.

My mate works on TV and he made a joke about Alzheimers once, you should have seen the envelopes he got!

Top Bottom