Speed limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Ok im really confused about this,im reading here that we cant be done for speeding ,and i dont really see how this can be,a speed limit means all vehicles doesnt it?

A cycle is not deemed as a vehicle under the Road Traffic Act.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A cyclist cannot be prosecuted for the absolute offence of exceeding a given speed limit as this law only applies to motor vehicles. Anyone riding at what the police consider a dangerous speed can be done for the offence of furious riding.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
But isnt it how we see ourselves,as vehicles on the road,to be given room as such,or to be treat in the same way?

col said:
But isnt it how we see ourselves,as vehicles on the road,to be given room as such,or to be treat in the same way?

No, you are just another road user! However, obviously the Highway code is still in play for vehicles when cyclists are using the road.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
The way it seems to me is that some of the rules of the highway code dont apply,on the pretext that a cycle is not actually named in that rule?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Nicensleazy said:
No, you are just another road user! However, obviously the Highway code is still in play.

If thats the case why isnt the speed limit part of it?I would say it is as we use the roads like other road users,and to say we are exempt because it doesnt actually say cyclist in the rule,seems a bit daft,we take notice of other rules that dont say the word cyclist ?

col said:
If thats the case why isnt the speed limit part of it?I would say it is as we use the roads like other road users,and to say we are exempt because it doesnt actually say cyclist in the rule,seems a bit daft,we take notice of other rules that dont say the word cyclist ?

Well thats the way the Road Traffic Act works my friend. Go and set off a GATSO!!

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Nicensleazy said:
Well thats the way the Road Traffic Act works my friend. Go and set off a GATSO!!

I dont understand what this means,set of a gatso?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
A cyclist cannot be prosecuted for the absolute offence of exceeding a given speed limit as this law only applies to motor vehicles. Anyone riding at what the police consider a dangerous speed can be done for the offence of furious riding.

So you can be done for speeding then.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
col said:
So you can be done for speeding then.
Not in the context of exceeding the posted limit. The police would need to prove that the riding was causing actual or potential danger, which they would not have to in the case of a motorist, as the offence of speeding is absolute for motor vehicles.

Top Bottom