Spelling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
.... is anyone else bothered about it? It drives me crazy when people can't spell the basic words of our language. It makes me want to NAME AND SHAME perpetrators! :sad:

Maybe this is because I am anal and a typical teacher. :biggrin: Or perhaps it is important to be able to express yourself well and accurately. I'm not saying people who spell poorly are not intelligent or anything like that - many science teachers I know can't spell at all. But in these days of spell checkers, online dictionaries and so on, is there really any excuse?

Maybe it doesn't matter so long as we all understand one another - language is communication after all.

Thoughts?

Noodley

I couldn't be bothered to get wound up about it.

Noodley

Let's put it this way - the last time I had a 'letter home' from school for my children I could have written back indicating at least 5 spelling or grammatical errors. So it's a bit ****ing rich for a teacher to try to make an issue out of it!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Noodley said:
Let's put it this way - the last time I had a 'letter home' from school for my children I could have written back indicating at least 5 spelling or grammatical errors. So it's a bit ****ing rich for a teacher to try to make an issue out of it!

Just goes to show how big the 'problem' is becoming.

Had a bad day today Noodles, you're a tad prickly tonight :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
It annoys me. I find that the text speak (or general omission of vowels) employed by the "yoof" of today is more frustrating than the odd misspelling.

Other than peddles and breaks, what are the other common mistakes on here?

Noodley

lanternerouge said:
Er, only if you assume all teachers are the same or work for the same institution Noodley... a bit nonsensical that.

So are you a 'typical teacher'? Who gets annoyed by 'typical behaviour"? And I can 'name and shame'?

Or could you just chill out a bit? And stop being so wound up about it?

Education stretches further than spelling things right.

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Just goes to show how big the 'problem' is becoming.

Had a bad day today Noodles, you're a tad prickly tonight :biggrin:

No just a bit pissed off with people trying to be negative all the time. Especially when it's all prejudiced nonsense.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Noodley said:

Ah-men to that my brother:becool:

I spell pretty bad sometimes, i can admit to it, my typing really is crap. I seem to type in sequences, and can sometimes get my sequence wrong, so i put in another word.
You can tell what word is ment to go there, but the new word in can make almost no sence.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Will1985 said:
It annoys me. I find that the text speak (or general omission of vowels) employed by the "yoof" of today is more frustrating than the odd misspelling.

Other than peddles and breaks, what are the other common mistakes on here?

I do hate text speak, and dont use it.
Its more lazyness then bad spelling i find.

Top Bottom