W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I couldn't agree more; a colleague of mine has an Allez and I have a Roubaix; they look identical, even the same paint, except the Allez is alloy. One short ride on it reminded me how good a quality alloy frame can be; the ride is comfortable yet pleasingly lively. The geometry is perfect for an all-purpose road bike. If carbon didn't exist the Allez would be up there with other manufacturer's alloy bikes like Cannondale's Synapse and CAAD at the top of the tree.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The manager of my local bike shop reckons spending £400 or above gets you into proper bike territory.

Anything under that is very hit and miss, probably more miss.

The Allez starts at about £500 so certainly qualifies.

The shop sells more mountain bikes than anything else to people who would be better advised to buy a hybrid.

Best seller is a GT at about £380.

It has hydraulic discs, reasonable wheels and tyres, and a freehub/cassette rather than a crappy screw on freewheel.

My observation is it weighs a bit, but I expect it's no more than a kilo or so heavier than a £1,000 MTB.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know where you're coming from. I feel the same way about my Felt - its somehow more than the sum of its parts, and I think it's a much nicer, livelier ride than my carbon framed Boardman for not even 2/3 the price. It's a keeper for sure.

si_c

Guru
All my bikes presently are alloy and they're a joy to ride, having lots of fun on the Domane at the moment.

Like @Drago my old felt was fantastic, rode it daily as a commuter and was sad when the frame cracked.

I've ridden carbon bikes but they really didn't give me more than the alloy bikes. That being said my heart belongs to a red trek madone.

Adamskirover

Über Member
I have to agree. My Allez was the first bike I bought when I got back into road cycling. It served me well for years and enabled this fat lad to get up Alpe d'huez. I was later taken out by a car and from the resulting insurance pay out I 'rewarded' myself by upgrading to a carbon Giant. The Allez then got shipped out to my mums house in Andalucia. I've never really fallen in love with the Giant and this is highlighted when I jump back on the Allez after a 12 month absence, and it just 'fits'.

Julia9054

Guru
His Allez is still Al's favourite bike. It has had lots of upgrades to components over the years but the 9 year old frame is still the same as it fits him so well

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Very pleased with a 2009 model which I've had for 2 or 3 years, it's now my main bike. Seems fast when I want it to be (managed a few KoMs) but I also used it extensively for commuting. Comfortable, takes a rack when I want. I'm very happy.

But not great tyre clearance, and I'm at an age where mudguards sound a good idea, so I'll look elsewhere for my next bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've fitted Crud guards to my Roubaix most winters and agree that they do make a difference but don't like them, they are hard to fit and keep from rubbing, they rattle and the front one worries me by flapping around at speed and I'm pretty sure they slow the bike down a little through wind resistance.

Happy memories of my Allez c.2001 when I rode many miles around North Yorks. It was replaced by a carbon Synapse Ultegra, which i never got on with for some reason.

Top Bottom