Spoke breakages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Since fitting a new wheel (Mavic) built around a Rohloff hub on my Dawes Galaxy I have broken three spokes (all at the threaded end) in 1,800 miles. On close inspection, there is a slight misalignment where the spokes enter the nipples. Presumably this is due to the slightly larger hub diameter of the Rohloff. The first two spokes were replaced as emergency repairs at foreign bike shops, but now I am home and lbs warned me that a spoke replacement would not last long due to the misalignment. The hub and wheel supplier considers the misalignment to be irrelevant, and the breakages due to spoke tension reducing. I have Googled for any tales of owners with similar problems but can only find reference to a spoke failure on a tandem on the Thorn website. Anyone on here got first hand experience of such problems?
Would it be considered normal to take new wheels back to the supplier for retensioning after a few hundred miles?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It is usual to get new wheels serviced after a week or so's wear - the spokes settle in and can get a little loose.

I would have thought that it must be down to the misalignment as the usual area for spokes to snap is at the other end closer to the hub -if you think about it the pressure has travelled up the spoke and has only fractured at that end.

Top Bottom