Spring into the Dales 2010 (Yorkshire Dales!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is becoming a bit of a tradition to post threads about the fine audax events in this area and it is time for another one.

Spring into the Dales, henceforth referred to as SITD, is a fine example. If blessed with good weather it is a lovely ride through stunning and testing scenery. If the weather is bad, it is a real test of resolve.

Last year's event was held under blue skies and warm sunshine. Conditions were so bad the year before (was it?) that I took one look at them and went straight back to bed - fair weather cyclists - pah!

Anyway, I'm up for it again this year. The event is taking place on Sunday, 18th April and starts and finishes in Hebden Bridge so come along and see what the cycling is like in my neck of the woods.

Last year the CycleChatters split into 2 groups and we will probably do the same again this year. I will be riding fairly slowly but there will be a faster group you could go along with if that's what takes your fancy. Heck, you could even ride solo if that's your thing.

Here is the organiser's webpage and here is the official audax webpage for the event.

Here is the thread on SITD 2009 and here is a write-up on my blog.

So... anybody fancy it?

PS As pointed out by andy_wrx below - there is always a good spread laid on at the event HQ. Even when I come in 2+ hours after some finishers there is always enough left for me!

I'm going to see if I can entice a few from NCC over, so will see you there Colin.

Looking forward to the slap-up buffet at the finish already...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

andy_wrx said:
I'm going to see if I can entice a few from NCC over, so will see you there Colin.
Good man!

andy_wrx said:
Looking forward to the slap-up buffet at the finish already...
Oh, yes - I forgot to mention that - I'll add it to my post.

In case anybody thinks that it is a bit early to be mentioning SITD... People seemed to get booked up further and further in advance these days. I've found it increasingly hard to get hold of people at less than a month's notice so I've got in 6 weeks ahead of the event!

Alun

Guru
I'll be there! Is your claim to be riding it fairly slowly in deference to Longers' performance on the Leeds ride?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alun said:
I'll be there! Is your claim to be riding it fairly slowly in deference to Longers' performance on the Leeds ride?
It wasn't so much that longers was flying up the 20% hills on his fixie, it was the fact that he was actually managing to ride them at all!

I got a very good view of him tackling Storiths and Langbar because I was about 50 yards behind him a lot of the way.

The difference was that I had the luxury of a 29 inch bottom gear but I think he was on something like 72 inches!

As for speed on SITD - I can't see me managing to get really fit in the next 6 weeks so I won't be capable of riding quickly even if I wanted to! I certainly hope to be a lot fitter than I currently am though!

There is still time for us to lose a stone each with some hard work and willpower - let's see who gets there first! :tongue:

longers

Legendary Member
I think work might get in the way of this ride but hope to be doing it, if not for the great route but for the excellent scran at the end.

Alun

Guru
ColinJ said:
It wasn't so much that longers was flying up the 20% hills on his fixie, it was the fact that he was actually managing to ride them at all!

I got a very good view of him tackling Storiths and Langbar because I was about 50 yards behind him a lot of the way.

The difference was that I had the luxury of a 29 inch bottom gear but I think he was on something like 72 inches!

As for speed on SITD - I can't see me managing to get really fit in the next 6 weeks so I won't be capable of riding quickly even if I wanted to! I certainly hope to be a lot fitter than I currently am though!

There is still time for us to lose a stone each with some hard work and willpower - let's see who gets there first! :smile:

I hope to be fitter and lighter than I am now !! :tongue:

PaulB

Legendary Member
I loved it last year but think I might still be a bit fragile this year but I'm thinking of entering the shorter version. It was so good last year, Longers reckoned it would be his best ride with great weather and superb scenery of 2009. I did too!

Arch

Married to Night Train
PaulB said:
I loved it last year but think I might still be a bit fragile this year but I'm thinking of entering the shorter version. It was so good last year, Longers reckoned it would be his best ride with great weather and superb scenery of 2009. I did too!

Is that the Leap into the Aire one? I'm torn. If I'm in training, I should make myself do the longer ride, but I'm still getting the recumbent muscles tuned, and fear long and hilly might be too much for me, as most of my rides are flat-to-gently rolling.

Short and hilly, I might cope with at this stage....

I suspect I'll mither until it becomes academic...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Arch said:
Is that the Leap into the Aire one? I'm torn. If I'm in training, I should make myself do the longer ride, but I'm still getting the recumbent muscles tuned, and fear long and hilly might be too much for me, as most of my rides are flat-to-gently rolling.

Short and hilly, I might cope with at this stage....
Hi Arch - I'm going to be organising a ride for PaulB from Hebden Bridge either the first or second weekend in April (i.e. one or two weekends before SitD/LitA). It will be hilly and about 50 miles, but I'm going to split it into a 30 (-ish) mile loop, a cafe stop in Hebden Bridge, then a 20 (-ish) mile loop so if Paul gets tired he can drop out after the first loop.

That might be an ideal ride for you to see how you get on with the hills round here. We've got the ride-at-the speed-of-the-slowest thing down to a fine art on these rides. The faster riders often go off ahead up the hills but they wait at the summits for me to arrive. They get an opportunity to enjoy the scenery and have a chat, and I just do what I can and eventually catch up.

I'll start a separate thread about that ride soon. If you are interested, you'd be welcome to join us.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh cheers, I'll bear that in mind! Would be nice to come over that way a bit and meet a few more CC'ers - it'd have to be on two wheels if I relied on the train to get over there, but it would give me an idea of the terrain.

I can do hills, I go to Northumberland once a year, but as so much of my everyday riding is on the flat, I have to acclimatise each time.

The other thing is that I don't descend all that fast on two wheels, I'm a bit chicken...

Top Bottom