SRAM cassette compatible with Shimano wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjb

Hi there

I'm currently running with Shimano Tiagra HG50 9 speed cassette (12-25)and looking to increase the gear range a little. I was looking at the SRAM PG950 9 speed (11-26) from Chain Reaction's website but I don't know if it will fit my wheel?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Simon

bonj2

I think it will be fine, I've got a hope hub on my MTB and they didn't ask me whether i wanted SRAM-specific, it just fits.
Cassette needs to be compatible with shifters, though.

OP
OP
sjb

sjb

Steve Austin said:
Sram cassettes work fine shimano shifters.
Shimano work better IMe they shift better

I'd have stuck with Shimano but they don't do the range, I need an extra bottom gear for the sportive I'm doing in a couple of weeks, and a higher gear than current would be good for the downhill bits of my usual routes....

e-rider

crappy member
These items are 'compatible' but IME when you mix components they never work as well as when you use a full matching gear system from one manufacturer - remember, a lot of time, effort and money has been invested into designing a gear system/drivechain; why then go and mix it all up!

llllllll

I agree with Andy, I've just replaced a Shimano HG50 cassette with an equilent Sram one. The Sram is lighter (I know it's sad but I do weigh everything ;)) and shifts just as well if not better. Can't comment of durability since it's only been on there for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
sjb

sjb

tundragumski said:
Shimano produce a 9spd 12-27

Went for the 12-27 Ultegra 9 speed off Wiggle in the end - a doddle to fit and very, very shiny! Gave it a good run up a couple of decent hills yesterday and seemed fine, definately a bit easier on the really steep sections.

Added bonus - got a packet of the Wiggle jelly sweets!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Well done, the 11 tooth on the first option was just a waste of a gear.

That said, ignore all that's been said about the problems of mixing SRAM cassettes with Shimano mechs and shifters. As others have said, using a SRAM cassette is nomally considered an upgrade. They are great bits of kit.

Top Bottom