1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SRAM cassette compatible with Shimano wheel?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by sjb, 10 Apr 2008.

1. sjb

sjb New Member

Hi there

I'm currently running with Shimano Tiagra HG50 9 speed cassette (12-25)and looking to increase the gear range a little. I was looking at the SRAM PG950 9 speed (11-26) from Chain Reaction's website but I don't know if it will fit my wheel?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Simon

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I think it will be fine, I've got a hope hub on my MTB and they didn't ask me whether i wanted SRAM-specific, it just fits.
    Cassette needs to be compatible with shifters, though.

3. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Sram cassettes work fine shimano shifters.
    Shimano work better IMe they shift better

4. OP
    OP
    sjb

sjb New Member

I'd have stuck with Shimano but they don't do the range, I need an extra bottom gear for the sportive I'm doing in a couple of weeks, and a higher gear than current would be good for the downhill bits of my usual routes....

5. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

These items are 'compatible' but IME when you mix components they never work as well as when you use a full matching gear system from one manufacturer - remember, a lot of time, effort and money has been invested into designing a gear system/drivechain; why then go and mix it all up!

6. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

Shimano produce a 9spd 12-27

7. I run a SRAM 12-26 with Ultrgra 9sp shifters, 105 sp mechs and it's fine.

Seems far better quality in terms of coating than HG50.
    More cut-outs on the cogs too, so I'd guess weight is lower than HG50 12-25.

8. llllllll

llllllll New Member

I agree with Andy, I've just replaced a Shimano HG50 cassette with an equilent Sram one. The Sram is lighter (I know it's sad but I do weigh everything ;)) and shifts just as well if not better. Can't comment of durability since it's only been on there for a couple of weeks.

9. OP
    OP
    sjb

sjb New Member

Went for the 12-27 Ultegra 9 speed off Wiggle in the end - a doddle to fit and very, very shiny! Gave it a good run up a couple of decent hills yesterday and seemed fine, definately a bit easier on the really steep sections.

Added bonus - got a packet of the Wiggle jelly sweets!

10. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Well done, the 11 tooth on the first option was just a waste of a gear.

That said, ignore all that's been said about the problems of mixing SRAM cassettes with Shimano mechs and shifters. As others have said, using a SRAM cassette is nomally considered an upgrade. They are great bits of kit.