SRAM X5 Vs Shimano Acera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

sram shifter pull twice as much cable so in theory, an x mm cable stretch/inaccuracy, is less of a percent of a gear shift.

from my own personal experience:
I've replaced my shimano on my mtb with sram (x5 mech) and the mech feels chunkier and better quality. And it now works, as opposed to having shifting problems with shimano. Only thing not quite as good is sram shifters dont' seem quite as ergonomic, but I'll probably not think that when i'm more used to the different shifting action.
fwiw I think the shimano shifting problem that i had was due to the shifter, but i couldn't be bothered to take it apart and rebuild it esp. when it might not have been that.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
fair do's Bonj. Was considering getting an el-cheapo(ish) MTB for the winter and was looking at ones on sale. Carerra Krakken Vs GT Agressor.

mike e

Forget groupsets, singlespeed, nowt to go wrong = perfect for winter.

On my mountain bike I prefer SRAM over Shimano everytime, better shifting and seems more durable.

mike e

Towards the back end of the year, or even now to be honest, there are many bargains to be had of old models. Big savings as shops clear the decks for next years bikes

Pauls Cycles is worth a look www.paulscycles.co.uk

mike e

That's not to say Shimano is crap, I just prefer SRAM given the choice

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yup ^ that one looks decent. I had the opportunity to get a GT with Deore, okay (I think) forks and hydraulic brakes, for 350 a couple of months ago but couldn't get the cash together before pay day :blush:

I want forks with a lock out - hydraulic disks and as good a spec as poss. Have seen a few out there on sale for under 400 that come up to this spec so perhaps there's hope!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I did wonder that if setting the pre-load adjust to it's stiffest setting, this would be just as good :blush: You can see that I don't really know much about MTB's right :angry:

Mr Pig

Sittingduck said:
I did wonder that if setting the pre-load adjust to it's stiffest setting, this would be just as good

Not really. Just makes the fork kick back at you like a pogo stick! I have a Tora and I find it feels most stable with slow rebound.

SX5 is waaay better than Acera; its more comparable to Deore.
Alivio is a Shimano groupset above Acera and Alivio is approximately equal to SX4, both being 8spd groupsets.
SX5 must have been, or perhaps still is?, available in 8spd as I just bought an 8spd SX5 shifter to replace the SX4 shifter that is playing up. I have seen SX5 on 9 speed 27 gear bikes.

I would say:-

Tourney = Nothing SRAM don't go this low end.
Altus/Acera approx = SX3.0
Alivio = SX4
Deore = SX5
LX = SX7
XT = X.9
XTR= X.0

Lock out is quite useful if the bike is going to be mostly used on road, if its mostly for off road use then its value is questionable.

Top Bottom