Stage 16 - spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Two hard climbs today which should sort out the in form riders, but with quite a long way to go after the summit of the second climb some catching up may happen. I think Evans needs to try and distance himself from Menchov as he seems to be the biggest threat for the GC. With so many riders close to each other on time, an off, or slightly off, day could spell disaster for either of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evans looked tired in the last stage, I thought. That little shake of the head as he reached the line... did he mean to signal openly that it had gone wrong, or couldn't he stop himself? If I thought I'd blown it, that's something I would keep to myself given what's coming next.

yello

It should be an interesting day today with a number of riders wanting to have a go I suspect. CSC looking strong, SLotto seemingly absent on Sunday. I think Rabobank will have to work hard if they want their man in the frame. Vandevelde's done surprisingly well so far (imho), can he hang in there? And Evans, will he just try and stay in touch until the time trial?

Today's a day to watch and enjoy. Let the best man win!

rustychisel

I still feel it may be a case of first to blink, or in this case, first to have a bad day...

What's the thinking on CVV's form, eh? Don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

Tetedelacourse

I think he's been threatening to put in a performance like this for a while and it's all clicked into place this year for him.

I can't see any of the favourites going hell for leather today given what awaits tomorrow, but that all depends on how weak Evans looks. I really thought he was ropey and they gave him too much respect on Sunday.

I'm finding it impossible to predict a winner today, so I'll take Yello's advice and watch and enjoy.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If I say Menchov he will probably fall over again... so I won't. What we will see is another breakaway by a group of grimpeurs, which will stay away, and then similar cat-and-mouse stuff in the mailot jaune group. My prediction is that Evans will slip further back on GC but not quite enough to ruin his chances of taking it back in the TT. I don't think he will crack completely. I reckon Sastre will try something, but Kohl is the dark horse now...

yello

Flying_Monkey said:
but Kohl is the dark horse now...

He is isn't he? I had to look back of the GC's over the last few days to see where he came from. He's just been plugging away putting in good times.

rustychisel said:
What's the thinking on CVV's form, eh? Don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

Ominous sounding words... and the guy is getting on, perhaps a last chance?? But, no, please not. Not in Slipstream!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
The group are still together but starting the first 'hill' so there will be some sorting out soon I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Now 4 minutes behind, are the teams playing a waiting game until the second climb and then use that one to put the hammer down and distance any weak link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
You're right FM, the peleton is 9 mins behind with most of the teams having riders 'up the road, Silence-Lotto only have Popovych in the lead group which may not give much comfort to Evans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom