Stamp Collecting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Did you? Have you still got them?

I've just seen Sticky Sherberts sig and it's reminded me of getting brown envelopes from somewhere in Kendal and spending ages sticking those little gluey flaps everywhere but where they were supposed to go.

Always plenty from Magyar.

No idea where they are now.

Maz

Guru
longers said:
Always plenty from Magyar.
Absolutely! Magyar Posta. There were tons of them and they were really colourful, interesting stamps. I think I still have my album somewhere.

col

Legendary Member
I inherited my dads collection which he kept up to date from 60 till 74, I tried to keep it up to date but failed miserably. I havnt added to it for years now, its an impressive collection too, from all over the world, there is even a full page of penny reds, another of £1 blacks, even a couple of penny blacks, but the wrong type unfortunately.

Keith Oates

Janner
I used to collect them when I was at school and had some fairly good ones (to look at not high value). I left them in my parents house for safe keeping when I started to travel and they are now so safe I can't find them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

DNFTT?

I used to. I remember the Magya Posta ones as well. It amused me as a kid for a while but I suspect my collection was never more than 'very ordinary'. I probably discovered I could get sticky fingers another way and forgot all about stamps.

It kept us out of trouble when I was a nipper. Would spend hours sorting through bits of paper, soaking stamps from envelopes and the like.

I also can recall having hundreds of magya posta.

Also bought all the Royal Mail 'first day covers' as I was told; "they will be worth something one-day". Yes - F*ck all!

Rotherham even had its own stamp collecting shop run by some old chap - now long gone.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've got a collection which stretches to 11 volumes - slowly rotting. There are pages of penny blacks, twopenny blues and penny reds, and all kinds of stamps from the Empire sent in the 1850s to some Foreign Office bigwig who was probably one of the first stamp collectors. All of which sounds fantastically exotic, which it is if you consider the history, but it's apparently, only worth about £5000. Nobody collects stamps these days. Had I had the good sense to unload it ten years ago it would have been worth a fortune.

Top Bottom