Standard mount/lights for rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I bought a rack recently, can someone point me in the direction of those funny little rectangular lights with a reflector that are supposed to be standard for racks - they or the mount screw in.

Also has anyone any idea how on earth you attach pannier bags and those ortlieb things, I've never thought to ask before?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have you got the bags already? If they are Ortlieb ones then lift the handle and it opens the catch. And they should come with inserts to allow for different sized racks. (Have I mis-understood the question?)

Can't help with the reflector I've got a smart superflash mounted on the back instead.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

No, I haven't got the bags, I know someone with an ortlieb but I confess to never looking at how it is mounted and haven't ridden with him for a couple of months. I just don't know how these things work.

On the rack I did mean at the back of the rack. How on earth did you mount the smart on the back of a rack or did you mean the back of the bike?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
My Ortliebs have two clipls on each rack which are opened/closed by lifting/releasing the handle. These just slot on to the sides of the rack, you can move them on the bag to align with your rack. I also have mine positioned so that the panniers sit as far back as possible.

Lights, my Madison rack came with a little tube mounting which bolts on to the rear of the rack and juts straight up, you can then mount 2/3 seatpost style lights on it, with their brackets. I've seen several homespun version of this mount online. You can use an old bit of handlebar or a bit of piping.

MacB

that's a mounting plate at the back and there are lights that will fit directly to it or ones that you need an extra plate over the top to fit. If you're lights are seatpost/saddlepack style ones then these don't fit on so well. It can be done, I drilled through a smart flash bracket and bolted it to one of these. Just need to make sure the bolt/screw is countersunk so that light still fits on to bracket. Quite thin plastic though so got to go easy on the countersink hole.

The long straight horizontal bits on either side are where the panniers will clip on, your lock would get in the way.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Ah yes, that's what I thought, so does anyone know what these lights are called? I've seen them in the past.

Not necessarily have to get my smarts on the back of the rack as I can use them on the other bikes.

potsy

Rambler
I got one of these for my cheapo Smart light,delivered in 2 days.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29392

MacB

Davidc said:
Those brackets potsy has suggested work well. At least until the metal bit on the rack comes off cos the weld has failed.

Only problem is that you're limited to just the one, using a bit of tubing you can fit 3 on. I run two on the back angled out and in to provide maximum coverage.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

MacB said:
Only problem is that you're limited to just the one, using a bit of tubing you can fit 3 on. I run two on the back angled out and in to provide maximum coverage.

!!!! I have two, a 1/2 and a 7 so I'm intrigued!

Millhouse

You should be able to adapt any light mount to a rack mount, either using a P clip on the tubes or direct to the relector plate. The other thing that makes it easy is to get a L bracket and replace the banding on the light mount with it that way your light can be turned to the right point and you'l still have the quick release function

potsy

Rambler
MacB said:
Yes looks like only 1 will fit on the rack shown,mine is slightly different design at the back and managed to fit 2 no problem.Much better than before on the seatpost(obscured a bit) or on the panier itself(kept expecting it to vibrate off)

Top Bottom