State of the Planet

Vantage

The dogs chew toy
The biggest disaster ever to hit this planet is the human race.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
The biggest disaster ever to hit this planet is the human race.
I get your point but it Reminds me of something George Carlin said, we aren’t a disaster for the planet , just ourselves.
The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!

We’re going away. Pack your shoot, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

Rusty Nails

We remember
I get your point but it Reminds me of something George Carlin said, we aren’t a disaster for the planet , just ourselves.
Have a free like for the quote.

The planet will die and everything in it at the same time. Unless there is some technological fuel miracle the only way we will delay it is by giving up the creature comforts we have got used to, and there are two chances for that: slim and fat, and slim just left town.

I'm dedicating 2019 to try and understand the significance of methane and CO2 on the greenhouse effect and if such an effect is in fact what's happening.
I dedicated 2018 to some other topic that turned out to be completely out of kilter with "common sense". I don't want to feel sheepish on another big topic.

I see some nice graphs, but correlation is not causation.

My mind is open.

Brandane

Fair weather cyclist.
The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!

We’re going away. Pack your shoot, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.
I need to bookmark this and quote it to all the "save the planet" campaigners who really mean "Oh no, help us; we've f**ked up and we're all going to die".

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm dedicating 2019 to try and understand the significance of methane and CO2 on the greenhouse effect and if such an effect is in fact what's happening.
I dedicated 2018 to some other topic that turned out to be completely out of kilter with "common sense". I don't want to feel sheepish on another big topic.

I see some nice graphs, but correlation is not causation.

My mind is open.
There's 40 years of climate science explaining the links, the prognosis and solution vs what people reckon . Pick a side

Adam4868

Guru
Banning plastics would be a start,not sometime in the future.Unless we really want to feck the oceans up !
I don't think it ended well for the dinosaurs..

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Banning plastics would be a start,not sometime in the future.Unless we really want to feck the oceans up !
I don't think it ended well for the dinosaurs..
The dinosaurs didn’t bring about their own downfall.
I’m listening to a podcast at the moment called The End of The World. It sets out various reasons why life exists and how we are likely to end.
There is a concept called The Great Filter which all life has to go through. The asteroid was the filter for the dinosaurs. Climate change and limited resources is very likely to be our Great Filter.
You only get one shot at getting it right, you either pass through or fail.

Adam4868

Guru
It wasn't meant as such,I doubt they had single use plastic ! Rising sea levels...plastic in the oceans...you see the connection ?

Top Bottom